Topic

Lightweight it is not (multisport road trips)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lightweight it is not (multisport road trips)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

So I leave tomorrow afternoon for 12 days in southern Utah. On the menu is mountain biking, backcountry skiing, canyoneering, and of course a three day solo backpack. The truck is mostly loaded now, and I'm off to work in an hour.

It's pretty amusing to think about all the stuff that's loaded up right not. Besides one bike, one pair of skis, skins, poles, avy gear, cooking gear, tons of food, and an iPod full of books on tape, I have:

Five pairs of shoes (661 cycling shoes, Montrail CTC, LaSportiva Exum River, Merrell Supercomp, Chacos)

Two sleeping bags (WM, BPL 60 quilt)

Over 400' of static rope, along with a wetsuit and a drysuit, plus webbing, neo socks, hooking kit, etc

Three different shell jackets

Four different pairs of gloves, three different hats plus a sun visor

Three pairs of sunglasses and a pair of goggles

Only three packs! (BD Bullet, Patagonia Endurance, Cold Cold World Ozone)

One stove (alcohol)

And on top of all that and more, I'll have a laptop and a half dozen books in a vain attempt to stay on top of grad school work and teaching while I'm gone.

Having fun isn't easy. ;)

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

What no kitchen sink? I love the fact you got that mountain of fun stuff and an alcohol stove. Right on! Me and the Mrs are doing a bonnaroo (music festival) 5 day trek in the smokies, and romantic weekend in Ashevill NC combo this June. I'll put up the gear list for your enjoyment. Dinner jacket, crocs, tie dyed Phish shirts, and tyvek ground sheets! Rock and roll!

Neil Bender

@nebender

Reminds me of a recent ice climbing trip to Ouray. I briefly thought about throwing a bike in the back of the Climate Assault Vehicle but thought the better of it. Boot problems necessitated some days off the ice and the road out of Ouray was mostly dry and clear in both directions. My loss of pedal time was the barkeep's gain. I've already decided to bring a bike next time.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I could still see daylight in the X so it wasn't "that" full :)

Multisport vacations rule.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools