Topic

ULA Contact

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Contact

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Bertrand

@ibertrand

Does somebody get a recent contact with the ULA team ?

Are they out of business or something ?

That's more than 2 weeks now that I am sending emails without any answer.
    I even tried to call them today and I got the answering machine.

Thanks for helping

Sean Mantell

@seanmantell

Locale: SoCal

I just got a reply from them on 3/17. I'm sure they've been busy with the release of the Ohm.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

It's hit or miss. Sometimes I get a quick response, sometimes nothing at all.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

I got a response today from an email that I sent yesterday. Anything we can help with?

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I have gotten response to emails from Brian within minutes before, almost like instant message! Of course, don't try this when he is out on his famous fall hikes (I'm just jealous)

David Ure

@familyguy

Very strange. Brian hired Casey mid last year and he has been immediate in responding to me. All of my e-mails were responded to within a day or two. What e-mail are you using?

Out of business? Ha – that is funny.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Spring Break?

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

When I placed my order on my Ohm 2 weeks ago, I was contacted by Casey within hours to let me know they were waiting on parts, I was in the queue, and they'd hopefully ship 3.16. That came and went so on 3.17 I emailed to check in. I heard back afternoon-ish the next day, that they'd run through what they had and they'd hopefully have one for me 3.27. I'm happy with the follow-thru so far.

Ivan Bertrand

@ibertrand

At least the community is very reactive ;-) Thanks to all.

Well, the good news is that they're a alive and kicking even if it is not to me.

That last update I had was from the 03/11 then I try to have an update once every week, don't think I harrass them, and get absolutely no answer.

I try Brian, Casey and Info.

I am a bit disapointed by the follow-thru so far.

They were pretty reactive on sales information but when it get to customer support it is really less reactive.
    That's almost a month I am waiting for replacement part due to quality issues on my ohm pack, and I have no clue when I would have it so far.

I don't think you should have to beg for update in that case. And so far that's the feeling I have so far.

Thanks

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

When all else fails, try a phone call. I sent Brian an email and after waiting a week for reply, I called the shop. He answered on the second ring and took about 15 minutes on the phone to answer all my questions. He did mention that they're extremely busy getting product ready and shipped.

I know the temptation with these owner-run businesses is to assume that because they are so much smaller than WalMart that they should be quicker to respond to messages. While this is usually the case, if they hit a busy patch they sometimes don't have the staff to react and can't just go out and hire more people to answer emails.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

The one time I called, I got Brian right away. That was like 18 months ago, tho.

Similarly, I recently sent Henry Shires an email, and it went unresponded for a week. I called, and got Henry, and got all my Q's A'd.

David Ure

@familyguy

"That's almost a month I am waiting for replacement part due to quality issues on my ohm pack"

Ivan, can you comment a bit more on this 'quality issue' as I just received my Ohm. Thanks,

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

I'd like to know myself, but doubt if its with any of the more recently shipped packs?

I did notice that the lower right shoulder strap webbing, is 3" longer than the left.
    Although, its shorter, its still long enough. So I'll probably shorten the longer strap.
    Hip-belt webbing could be trimmed too, I probably have at least, 8-10" of straps hanging down, after I tighten the belt. I'm sure the webbing is left long for any that have big waists.

My only complaint, would be that there is too much gap between the hips and the hip-belt at the rear corners.
    This would be where the hip-belt attaches at the pack. I'd like to see the pack width decreased to 11" which would be a least an 1-1/2" narrower.
    I'm guessing that this "might" give the hip-belt a more wrap-around effect.

As for ULA returning my emails, Casey has been excellent in this regard, usually getting back to me the same day or the day after. I'm sure they're currently very busy filling orders.

David Ure

@familyguy

"My only complaint, would be that there is too much gap between the hips and the hip-belt at the rear corners."

I thought this was a problem as well until I found the belt tighteners under the hipebelt pockets (they are not apparent on the website). Pulling those tight snugged the belt right into my lumbar. No gap now.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Yep, I know about the hip-belt load lifter straps. The problem with this type of hip-belt design, is the fact that the hip-belt is attached to the sides of the pack, and with the pack being 12.5" wide, you're never going to achieve a decent wrap around your hips. Unless, your really wide.
    I realize, that the pack or hip-belt isn't designed to do as such, but I think with a few minor changes to the design, that it could possibly do so. (Tilt the top of the hip-belt inward 30 degrees)
    Go back to, or borrow from, how the hip-belt was on the P-1.
    I carried 32lbs with that pack in fairly decent comfort too. Don't ask me why I sold it, though?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Normally, Brian and Casey are prompt at getting back. But they must be really busy. I am waiting for a reply on an email too. If it was critical, I would call.

Here is the problem we face with the cottage industry (BPL/BMW, GG, MLD, 6 Moons, Nunatak, ULA, etc.) – they make unique products here in the USA. So not many options for us as consumers.

The are probably not well capitalized, so for the most part, they make and fulfill orders as they come in. And from Jan – Jun they are buried.

The owners try to take more time off than most of their customers… but this is when they do their R&D; testing new products.

If they have employees, just losing one is devasting… a large percentage of their work force is gone.

They are at the mercy of vendors. They purchase specialized materials in low quantities.

They were several hats… CEO, Public Relations, Production Worker, Janitor, etc. So when they get busy, there is not enough hours in the day to get everything done.

They intuitively understand the importance of customer service, and often are outstanding at it… but other times they just have to abandon it to keep things running. Plus I am sure the economy is not helping matters.

So… I am not defending what may seem to be inattention to the business and customer satisfaction; it is just something we need to understand. Otherwise, we can get all our gear at REI, Campmor, Backcountry, etc.

Currently I am in week 7 of waiting for a product from one of these companies, and last week purchased another item with an estimated wait of 6 weeks minimum. For us these often are major expenses, and mentally when we order them we want them our way and now (thank you Ray Krock et al).

Ivan Bertrand

@ibertrand

I got an answer (well it was actually a question ;-)

I was really worry since they were pretty reactive before, they were very busy and dealing with more urgent requests.

I understand cottage company are small businesses and that they cannot be that reactive.

Thanks everyone for your support.

David, Michael : I also have a longer strap but is not really an issue. The main quality issue is that the frame inserted into my Ohm pack was built incorrectly. It's very visible you can't miss it.

Merci !

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

"Currently I am in week 7 of waiting for a product from one of these companies"

I think some of these cottage guys have mountains of work, and even with delivery delays, they still deserve laurels on their heads.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I am disappointed but at the same time relieved by this thread.
    First I thought that "Contact " was the name of a new body hugging type pack, but considering that I don't have any spare cash I am happy to have misinterpreted the title of the thread.
    Franco

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Yes, but do you have the new Ohm pack, if not, then you MUST have one NOW!

Ed Engel

@doorknob

Locale: West of what you think is west

I called ULA a short time ago and Brian answered. Answered all my questions, it was very nice to talk to him.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

"The problem with this type of hip-belt design, is the fact that the hip-belt is attached to the sides of the pack, and with the pack being 12.5" wide, you're never going to achieve a decent wrap around your hips. Unless, your really wide."

Did I read this correctly, that the pack better fits really wide guys?

David Ure

@familyguy

No – I have medium sized hips with a 34" waist. I am 6'1" and 210 pounds in good shape. The belt fits me like a glove – the best belt I have ever had on.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

If you mean best belt, for an UL pack with a winged type hip-belt, Maybe? But to say this, is a little misleading? It is definitely not as supportive or as comfortable as many other pack's that I personally own, such as:

ULA Circuit
    GG Nimbus Ozone
    Gregory Z-55

But, these packs above, are also in a different weight carrying class or type altogether too. What fits your body type or shape like glove, might not fit others in the same manner.

David Ure

@familyguy

I had a GG Ozone and thought the belt was the worst I have ever used. Far too thick and it did not cinch well at my lumbar. I too also have a Circuit. The belt on the OHM is very similar – just as thick but not as wide. I find the belt less restrictive on the OHM than on the Circuit but I am a committed UL packer so admittedly I rarely exceed 30 pounds (my base weight for 3 season is 10.86 pounds).

Honestly, I could care less whether you think I have mislead anyone. I haven't. It is by far the most comfortable belt I have ever used. Me….Moi. I have simply not had the same experience with the Ohm belt that you have. Sorry about that.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools