Topic

Lightweight Mug?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Mug?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

I am looking for a lightweight mug that can boil about 2 cups of water. I want a mug style because this will also be used for coffee in the mornings after cooking is done, and tea for the evenings. I like the BPL 550 pot (with handles), but it isn't in stock. Also, double walled would be good too (550 is single wall). AGG doesn't seem to have a double wall the size I want (somewhere in the 475-550 ml range). So, far the 550 is best, any ideas?

Steve Parr
    BPL Member

@srparr

Locale: SE Michigan

Double wall is a problem for cooking.

Is the Snow Peak Trek 700 too large? The lid can be replaced with foil if you want to reduce weight a bit.

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Steve,
    Very good point. I didn't think about the cooking. Just wanted to have my cake and eat it too!.

For what I am looking for, the SP 700 is a little big.

And yes, no matter what I get, if it has a lid, it will get replaced with foil.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Snowpeak also has a 450ml (15 oz to the rim) or 600 (20oz to the rim). Neither has a lid. 2.4 and 2.8 oz respectively.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

If you are looking for the 550, this is it:

Tibetan Titanium 550

There was a thread a few days ago about these pots and how they are the same as the ones BPL sells. I think the thread was for the BB ultra.

Looks like I was a few posts too slow

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Hey-
    If you wanted to be a little decadent… Snowpeak's double-wall stackable mugs are great. I got a M600 that stacks perfectly inside my Titan kettle, stove and fuel inside. I'm guessing you could nest a 450ml mug in a 550/600 ml single wall… cost of decadence here about 3 to 3.5 ounces. Worth it to me, 'cause then I can have coffee with breakfast (instead of before or after) and I can ultimately break camp a bit faster.

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Good point Brad. And it sure would beat sucking it down from my 1 qt plastic stove caddy before it gets cold.

I really like some of the snow peak mugs. Anyone ever had problems out of these?

John Sixbey

@wolfeye

Here are a few I found while browsing, 300 & 400 ml: http://www.antigravitygear.com/evernew.php

The mugs can come with a lid that lets you sip. I've thought of picking up a 400 for solo trips; seems just big enough to heat up single serving food. 2.5 oz with lid, I think.

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

I have the Snow Peak 450 twin wall titanium mug and its my preferred mug over any other, my TWEG stays hot for quite a while.

I also use the 450 single wall titanium mug (I have 3) for boiling water, cooking and for drinks.

Overall, I appreciate the heat retention qualities of the twin wall mug, which can also be used to keep food hot and is of a good size.

On no account use a twin wall mug on a stove, rupture and fragmentation may be the outcome……

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

On the 400, I have a in-new-condition one for sale on my website, in the Bargain Bin. I bought it a couple years ago and never used it. The husband got asked which Ti mug he wanted, and he preferred the MSR ones over the Evernew….so I am trying to get rid of it ;-)

*Edit:Put wrong brand name down. Duh…..

David Ure

@familyguy

I have the Snowpeak 450 which works well. However, I should note that mine does not weight the quoted 2.4oz and is in fact 3.0 oz on the nose.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Kyle, The Tibetan 550 is the same as the BPL 550. I have the Tibetan and it is a great mug. I use it with a Caldera cone for the BPL 550. Its a perfect fit. I have a number of different mugs/pots including a Snowpeak 450. I pretty much use the Tibetan 550 all the time. Mine weighs right at 3.0 oz (mine was heavier then spec) but the lid is a real luxery and the size is perfect… 2 full cups of water can be boiled. It works great to drink coffee from too. And it comes with a nice orange padded stuff sack.

Jamie

john braun

@hitman

Locale: West Florida

I've been using a Heinekin Beer can. It weighs 1 oz and cost $2.50. Plus, you get to drink the beer before you leave for your trip.

Noel Hong

@arborrider08

Locale: SouthShore of Lake Superior

1.5 oz, 8 oz capacity Ti Sierra Cup. Not near the 2 cup capacity needed. Single wall for heating/cooking in a pinch. Can't remember but I think it is a Snow Peak. Latest model has folding handle.

Anyone know what would be the largest size Snow Peak Stacking Mug that would fit inside a BushBuddy Ultra? Would be nice to sip a cup of tea while cooking the meal in the pot.

Ti Sierra Cup

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

Anyone have an idea of when the BPL FireLite 475ml Titanium Trapper's Mug will be available?
    I've browsed the Tibetan Titanium products and didn't find anything similar/comparable….Anyone know of one?

Thanks

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

what's the import cost for ordering a tibetan 550 from the UK? i'd really like to buy it from BPL, but everytime i have the cash recently there is no stock and i can't buy what i want…

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

I didn't pay any "import cost" for my TT 1100. It was just the item and shipping and a currency conversion. From Ultralight Outdoor Gear it's £21.73 for the 550 mug and £3.43 shipping to the US. Currency conversion right now puts it at $36.91 total.

They take Paypal, which will convert currency for you on the fly (as will VIsa and the others I'm sure).

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

Lighthound.com out of Texas carries Tibetan Titanium products and they're currently on sale…although I didn't see the 550 on the website.

http://www.lighthound.com/search.asp?keyword=TIBETAN&search=GO

Kyle Krug

@krugorg

I also have the stackable (handle-less) titanium double wall mugs from Snow Peak. I have the H450 model, which serves me well for hot drinks.

Noel Hong

@arborrider08

Locale: SouthShore of Lake Superior

Kyle, what are the dimensions (height x diameter) of you H450?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools