Topic

egg white powder

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition egg white powder

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    shannon stoney
    Spectator

@shannonstoney

Hi, just wondered if anybody had found a way to use egg white powder, or dehydrated egg white, in their mixes or whatever. I bought some today. It’s called Just Whites, in the baking section of Kroger. It is pure protein, and you dissolve it in warm water, but it is not so tasty. Maybe if you mixed it with other stuff it would be ok. YOu have to use warm water or it doesn’t dissolve and just turns into hard lumps.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I’ve been using both the egg whites and whole egg powder in protein shakes for a couple of years. I have tried stretching whole eggs with it with mixed success, it’s fine in pancakes and waffles but poor in egg dishes. I know bakers use this stuff, you might try picking their brains.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The egg whites are defintely for the baking crowd. Do you bake anything before you hit the trail? If you do, add some in. Bread would be a great option, also sweet breads. You would boost the protien/calories. I know that many light packers don’t carry heavy food-but I love nothing more than fresh baked items on my first day or two out. I usually add dry milk powder to my bread to boost it up, cheese and whatever else sounds/smells good that day….
    If you want eggs for the trail, I would recomend getting the whole eggs.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools