Topic

Windshirt Advice Request

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Windshirt Advice Request

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    David Mcevoy

@dave_mac68

Locale: Virginia Beach

I am about to purchase a windshirt, but I am torn between Golite's Ether and Wisp and Montbell's Parka and Jacket. I see that Golite seems to be popular on the gera swap, but does anyone have experience with these offerings and what would you suggest and why? Thank you in advance.

John sorry for the confusion, I should have said, 'Montbell UL Wind Parka: http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=61&p_id=2303183

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

Locale: Richmond, Virginia

David,

I'm an Ether fan. Also, I'm a fan of hoods in general so that was the selling point over the Wisp.

I have no experience with Montbell's Parka/Jacket but after washing my Ether to get the DWR off as much as possible, it's been fine and breathes very well.

I love the weight, under 4 oz for a large, and it's practically nothing in your pack (though that's true for all windshirts i reckon).

Also, i like the full zip of the Ether vs the Wisp.

Just my two cents, but check out other ideas too! Montane has some sweet Featherlite series windshirts. I tried to get a Smock but it didn't fit quite right.

– Dana

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

No experience with the GoLite, but I had a Mont-Bell U.L. Windshirt and that one was nice.

slavenya slavenya
    BPL Member

@slavenya

Locale: Israel

Did you have a chance to look at Montane SpeedLight?

Everyone seem to love it.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No direct experience, but isn't the MontBell UL windshirt non-breathable? I vaguely recall Ryan Jordan calling it "sweat fabric"?

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I've been using the Ether wind shirt for a couple of years and for the weight it can't be beat for wind and light drizzle stopping. This is an item I always hike with.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

I recommend the Ether too. If you buy a windshirt, make sure it has a hood- invaluable, in my opinion.

cheers,
    fred

gdinero senior

@gmoney

I second the comment that you want a hood.

I have a ~4-yr-old marmott chinook that I love.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I have a 2007 or 2008 Ether (hooded) with a full zip and find it amazing. Breathable and moderate water resistance. I love it.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I like both my Houdini and my Wildthings epic 1/2 zip wind shirts/jackets. They both are offered in black which is for me a plus. The hood on the 09 Houdini is redesigned and fits better then earlier versions IMO.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I have a Montbell wind shirt and I like it a lot. I'm not sure of the model or year though. It definitely breathes well and is quite light. If I remember correctly, mine does not have a hood (I have several wind shirts, so it is hard to remember).

James Ennis

@jimennis

Locale: South

I have the Wisp and really like its performance. I am one of the few, I guess, who don't like hoods. The Wisp performs well in wind and light rain and I usually wear it in addition to a poncho in heavy rain with good results. I don't like to hike in it unless the temps are in the 20s due to overheating.

John Gluth

@jgluth

Love my Ether…my ears always get cold, so a hood is a must-have for me.

Probably my single favorite clothing item.

Ray Dunham

@raymond

Locale: SE US

I have the Wisp and love it.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

DriDucks or a homemade one out of Momentum

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

No direct experience, but isn't the MontBell UL windshirt non-breathable? I vaguely recall Ryan Jordan calling it "sweat fabric"?

I didn't have any problems with it.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have no problem with the Montbell wind shirt either.

But lets remember we all are different. Ryan hikes a lot in very cold weather. I hike a lot in hot weather. I would need a lot more insulation if hiking with him in the winter, and would not do as well temperature-wise. I am sure I would do better in very hot weather.

All we can do is absorb input from others, and then based on our experience make choices that seem right for us. Unfortunately, sometimes we buy stuff that does not work as well as we might have hoped.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

David, my first windshirt was the Golite Wisp, and I really loved its packability and wispy weight. I mean, I could just wad it up and stuff it in my hip pocket! Yet, at altitude when the wind whistled I knew I was missing something even when I had a on a balaclava, and that was a hood. So I picked up a used Patagonia Houdini here, and like so many others, became a firm believer in the necessity of a hood. BTW, I have read favorable reviews on the MB windshirts.

Roger, I think it was, did a review of several windshirts a while back, and you could find it by clicking on "articles" above.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!