Topic

Quilt choices

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quilt choices

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I am researching a new quilt set up, or sleep system as we call them now. I was considering synthetics for our sometimes wet and cold NZ climate, but have finally decided on down for its smaller pack size, warmth for weight and longevity. I also figure that if I need a synthetic quilt this would be one of the few MYOG projects that I could tackle reasonably well.

I have decided on a quilt because I now have to sleep on my side due to a back injury and want the ability to wear insulated clothing without it being compressed. I have also been using my sleeping bag as a quilt for years now and can't imagine zipping myself back up in a tight mummy bag.

I will be using a Tarptent Squall (or similar), or some times staying in a hut and the longest trip I am likely to do is about two weeks. I would like to be bale to get down to 20/25 F in some sort of comfort with addition of a bivy bag and insulating clothing.

I have narrowed it down to two choices Go-lite ultra 20 or Jacks R Better No Sniveller and have a couple of questions.

Are there any other options I should consider in the 30 F range?
    Is there much difference between these two bags that I need to be aware of?

I am thinking of the No Sniveller, as it can be worn if needed. I know the Ultra is rated lower, but everyone seems to agree the 20 degree rating was very optimistic. It seems likely to me they are very similar in warmth.

Many thanks.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools