Topic

Shifting fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Shifting fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sean OLeary
    Spectator

@redoleary

Locale: Mid West

I am learning how to sew and have not yet graduated from stuff sacks yet, mostly because they're still kicking my ass! I've got some cheap wally-world uncoated ripstop, which I've laid out with a square, taped down, cut with a "hot knife" (solder iron), before I even get past step one and fold it in half the thing's gone all wonky on me and nothing is square anymore. I have not had this problem with cotton fabrics
    So how do you keep this stuff from shifting?
    Thanks.

RED

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

don't use any of the edges as square. Place the square inside the edge and use the square to draw a new "edge" line. Start off that line and be careful not to stretch the fabric.

However, a little off square is no problem. Once it is sewn up you won't even notice, and neither will anyone else. I never noticed until i started sewing how imperfect the things we buy are stitched.

-Tim

Sean OLeary
    Spectator

@redoleary

Locale: Mid West

Thanks Tim I'll give that a shot, and you're right I'm sure the minute I'm done I won't pay much attention to the imperfections.

Good Luck
    RED

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools