Topic

Your Favorite 3-Season Solo Tarp Tent, Double Wall Tent or Tarp + Bivvy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Your Favorite 3-Season Solo Tarp Tent, Double Wall Tent or Tarp + Bivvy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Jeremy
    One of the pole sections I use has a largish rubber tip at the bottom. It was the last section of a pole from a 4 season tent. But I have used one where the pole was just the open end , I sort of scratch a hole under that to keep them there. That guy line is under some tension too so that pressure helps in keeping it upright.
    BTW I have seen some "shock cords don't work" comments, maybe true well below freezing but mine are 4mm thick and doubled up.
    Still I have used it up till recently without them.
    The rear strut works better if you use a guyline at the front as well.( from the apex under the vent)
    Franco

Anne C

@pinkbonzi

I have been reading this thread because I plan on hiking the AT next summer and am looking to buy a new tent. Since I am only 5'6' would you recommend the lunar solo or the contrail?

How do they hold up in rainy weather/windy/snowy weather?

Headroom…. not in front of your face while laying down room, but sit up room?

Vestibule space?

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

>>Since I am only 5'6' would you recommend the lunar solo or the contrail?

How do they hold up in rainy weather/windy/snowy weather?

Headroom…. not in front of your face while laying down room, but sit up room?

Vestibule space?<<

At 5'6", you'd have no problem with fit lying down or sitting up in either. The interior and vestibule space is larger with the Lunar Solo. I'll defer to others with more extensive foul weather experience for that aspect.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Probably my MLD Grace Solo tarp and Ti Goat bivy, followed by my Contrail. I just picked up a used MLD Patrol Shelter from the gear swap here, so this could become a favorite?
    I'm thinking I could forgo using a bivy with the Patrol, being the end is closed and the front has a decent beak. Pitched low, it would shed wind blown rain, very well. Although, I'd still need in season bug protection.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Catching up after being slammed with work since posting…finally had a chance to review choices after flight was cancelled today. Will post a follow up after catching up on this thread.

On a side note, does anyone else not receive all their alerts? This has happened to me a bunch of times already, will write BPL about it.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

William I just read about that new tarp tent Ron at SMD has coming out soon – called the Vamp – which I think is supposed to be a Lunar Solo for taller folks. Emailing him now to beg him to post pics and specs, as I'd like to pick up my solo shelter before a trip late April.

So far for the solo shelter for me is either that or a Tarptent Rainbow, both roomy and sturdy choices.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

BTW, I seem to be having a lot of difficulty with the SMD website – not available, and many links not working. If anyone else can access it, can you send me the contact email or link for SMD? Can't wait to find out when the Vamp could be coming out and see specs/photos.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

>>William I just read about that new tarp tent Ron at SMD has coming out soon – called the Vamp – which I think is supposed to be a Lunar Solo for taller folks. Emailing him now to beg him to post pics and specs, as I'd like to pick up my solo shelter before a trip late April.

So far for the solo shelter for me is either that or a Tarptent Rainbow, both roomy and sturdy choices.<<

I hear you! At 6'5", I just didn't fit the Lunar Solo, though I liked the overall design. I'm happy with my TT Contrail as a good choice for taller folks as a solo shelter, but I'm also curious to learn more about the SMD Vamp. True gearheads never stop looking!!

For two people, the SMD Lunar Duo is my favorite so far for space and ventilation in the buggy Minnesota woods.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!