Topic

Alpinlite Gear Bug Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alpinlite Gear Bug Tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Hi Brad,

You should have said, I have an ID bugshelter which might have fitted, I never tried. Did the spinnshelter arrive already?

Edit to add, I think the ID bugshelter would be too wide at the foot end for the spinnshelter.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I actually was trying 3 shelter options at the time and wound up going with another one. With that said, I felt the quality was as good as the other gear I have and the customer service was first rate.

If I were to buy another (which I very well may) I'd probably get the 1.5 model for the extra room.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The SpinnShelter isn't here yet. I have just been going by the dimensions on the GG website. I do plan on measuring everything before I have one made. I did measure my BA Seedhouse SL1 for comparison and everything was spot on except the foot end width, which they say it 31", when in reality it is 26.75".

The size I am making is in between the two. So far, this is what I am thinking:

Front Width: 42 inches
    Rear Width: 28 inches
    Front Height: 38 inches
    Rear Height: 21 inches
    Length: 84 inches
    Full Mesh Door (other than the bathtub floor)
    Full Mesh Foot End (other than the bathtub floor)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

What is your opinion on putting LineLocks on the four corners of the bug tent and on the ends of the ridge. Since the Spinshelter has to be staked at the four corners anyway, I thought about running lines from the corners of the bug tent to the spinshelter and just drawing them taut with the linelocks, as well as using the line locks to taut up the ridge?

Would I be better off just using .22oz Ti stakes at the corners of the bug tent?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Or just some light shock cord with loops knotted in to pop over the pegs. I don't like time wasted faffing when I'm getting bitten. :-)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Brad,

Either would work, and work well. But I have a Serenity from SMD, and Ron uses elastic on the corners to attach to the tarp stakes.

Light, quick, and no extra stakes YMMV.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Thanks, elastic shock cord is an option that I hadn't thought about. I will have to decide what I want this week so I can place my order.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

FWIW, SMD uses 1/4" black elastic rather than true shock cord. Not trying to be nitpicky, just wanted you to know.

Todd

Michael Landman

@malndman

Locale: Central NC, USA

Just to chime in…

I had mine here in the Grand Canyon for a week long hike in mid April. I used a SpinnTwin for rain protection most nights (it always rains in the desert!).

Cloudy GC panarama

We had all the weather one could want, snow on the rim, clear nights where I did not need a tarp, rain and snow on the Tonto, winds that made pitching a tarp a formidable task, and great desert blooms.

AlpinLite Bug tent no tarp GC

S. rim snow

New Hance cache camp spot

GC Desert blooms 01

GC desert blooms 02

GC Desert blooms 03 (cedar)

GC desert blooms 04 PP

GC Colorado/near Cottonwood

Some notes on the Bug Tent:

Construction is good throughout.
    All seams are tight and no fabric/mesh ends exposed to fray.
    All seams are sealed (nice touch) comes with nice vented stuff sack, with a mitten hook so it does not get lost over night.
    Water protection afforded by the SylNyl foot end and raised SylNyl at the entrance was sufficient for the rain we saw that blew from every direction (the canyon head walls and sides made the wind shift wildly all night).
    I personally would prefer a button and loop system rather than the mitten clip to hold the door open, but that's just me, no biggie.
    A stash pocket would be helpful (head lamp, the whistle I have had around my neck all day, small stuff like that).
    The zipper for the front door is a bit short. It appears to be a stock size and does not go all the way to the edge of the wall. This makes the door effectively smaller than it could be.

Bug tent zipper detail

It is a bit heavier than the MLD Serenity Shelter, but you can have it in a week or so, not in a month or month and a half. Good for us planning impaired folks!

All in all, I like it, the business is good to work with. As a thought, having it shipped via FedEx or UPS, as opposed to the USPS shipping would make tracking the package easier and might be worth the bump in costs.

I recommend this gear and would buy from AlpinLite again.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Thanks for the pics Michael. It looks like you had a great trip. I really need to get out west sometime.

One of the reasons that I am leaning on going with Alpinelite over MLD is when I emailed them both about doing my custom sized model, Gen was $85 cheaper and 6 weeks quicker. I own several pieces of MLD gear that I have been very happy with and would go with them again, but $85 is a chunk of change.

I have noticed the short zipper before too, and will ask him about that. Having used a BA Seedhouse SL1 for the past three years, I am used to a doggy door, but the bigger the better.

Michael Landman

@malndman

"It looks like you had a great trip."

The GC is a great place, once you are off the corridor trails.

GC general 01

GC general 02

I am ~5-8 and sitting up is doable…if you are +6-0, not so much. Dressing is a trick, particularly putting on socks.

(I am the shortest one on the left, as we pose in front of the "You could DIE!!!" NPS sign board )

GC 4/09 start

But now I have a real comfortable home for a bit over 2 lbs (SpinnTwin, Bug Tent, NeoAir, Ti. stakes and line).

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I am 6 feet tall, but I am having the Bug Tent made at 38" tall which is exactly what my current tent is, so I am used to it. Plus the Peak height of the SpinnShelter is 40" which pitched low in storm mode, so I have that limitation as well.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Did it arrive yet?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

The Spinshelter arrived today, I hope to set it up in the yard later today!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Nice one, glad it arrived safe.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I got my “new to me” SpinnShelter today and did a test run in the yard in between the thunderstorms that we have had today. It took me about 15 minutes to get it set up satisfactory the first time, but when I did it again I got down to about 10. I can tell it is definitely going to be a learning process, as it is my first non free standing shelter of any kind. I am planning on using it with a custom sized Alpinelite Bug Tent for a 1.5 pound double wall shelter. Here are a few pics:SpinnShelterSpinnShelter

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Looks very sturdy and storm proof Brad! Great combo with the Alpenlite Bug Tent..Pitching gets easier and easier everytime. NICE!!!!

David Ure

@familyguy

Nice – too bad it doesn't have top vents like the Shangri-La 1. Let us know what condensation is like.

Michael Landman

@malndman

looks like you are having a real wilderness experience ;)

UL SS #2

How many days out are you?

(just kidding)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

It depends on how mad the wife is when she finds out I bought a new tent!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Sweet Spinnshelter Brad, nice buy. The pitch is crazy tight in the photo, should shed weather effectively. I own the Golite ShangriLa-1, your shelter reminded me immediately of that design, although much more refined in terms of weight savings, they are very similar though, minus the vents at the foot and head, and the Spinnshelter comes in a whole 8-9 oz. less, that is a huge difference! I'm very curious about the effectiveness in managing condensation as well, keep us updated when you give it a test run.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Looking good Brad.
    It's nice and long too isn't it? Even for a 6' 8" guy like me.

I found condensation was eased by fully opening the foot end of the tent. It's long enough to do this in calm weather without precip worries. Which is when condensation is likely to be an issue anyway.

Cheers

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I put the SpinnShelter up in the yard today for the third time. I had just gotten the cam-locks in for the guylines and wanted to try setting it up in a higher, better venting, configuration. I was also setting it up with the "fixed length" rear pole setup as my Komperdell C3 Carbon Duolocks are almost impossible to re-lock one you collapse them. Things went relatively well; I used a stopwatch and had a decent pitch in 4 minutes 38 seconds. Here is a pic:SpinnShelter

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

My Alpinlite Bug Tent arrived today. I wont set it up in the yard until it cools off a bit, but I stretched it out between two doors in the house. Workmanship seems top notch, and everything is just like I requested. Gen was great to work with, and delivered right on time. Mine is a bit larger than stock:

Front Width: 42 inches
    Rear Width: 28 inches
    Front Height: 38 inches
    Rear Height: 21 inches
    Length: 84 inches
    Full Mesh Door
    Full Mesh (other than bathtub floor) Foot End
    Linelocks on the ridge ends

Here is are the actual weights:

Bug Shelter: 9.6 oz (after seam sealing)
    Stuff Sack: 0.2 oz
    Guylines: 0.6 oz (There is one 6' length and one 8' length. Since
    I'll be clipping to the SpinnShelter I'll probably be able to trim
    most of that away.)

Total: 10.4 oz

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Here are some pics of the Alpinlite Bug Tent in my GG Spinnshelter.
    Alpinlite Bug Tent and SpinnShelter

Alpinlite Bug Shelter

Inside

SpinnShelter (including guylines) 10.3 ounces
    SpinnShelter stuff sack 0.4 ounces
    Alpinelite Bug Shelter (including guylines) 9.7 ounces
    AlpineliteBug Shelter stuff sack 0.2 ounces
    Easton 6" Aluminum Pegs (2) 0.6 ounces
    GG TiteLite Ti Stakes (10) 2.2 ounces

23.4 ounces for a big double wall shelter!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools