Topic

Mosquito-proof clothes for kids.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mosquito-proof clothes for kids.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I want to make a set of hiking clothes, or at least shirts, for my kids that will keep the mosquitos from biting. My initial thought is to use mosquito netting (Polyester Mesh from OWF) and treat it with permethrin.

That way my kids can wear whatever clothes are most comfortable for hiking and the bug clothes will keep the mosquitos from biting. Using permethrin will protect them in areas that the mesh is against the skin, but since these will be over the hiking clothes there shouldn't be much chemical exposure.

Sizing will be pretty loose, with integrated headnet and hand mitts. I'm thinking pullover style.

The other possibility would be to make them more like "The Original Bug Shirt" with upper surfaces out of proboscis-proof nylon fabric. I'm concerned that would be too hot, and construction/fit would be far more complicated.

Comments/ opinions?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Jim,

I would go with netting. Kids quickly outgrow clothes, and it gets expensive. That way they can wear what they already have.

I use Deet, but my wife doesn't like 'chemicals.' She does use a lotion sold through Avon, that does a good job. But to me it stinks, and to her it smells good, and to a bear it would draw curiousity.

I really am not bothered much by skeeters in the Sierras, and am surprised this keeps coming up. I do spend time each year in the Great Lakes area, and the skeeters there are a real pain in the butt (and other body parts).
    :) But I just use deet, and the buzzing around my head is soon ignored. Netting of some sort allows a good night sleep.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Nick,

You're apparently just a tough old bird. My kids are very tender. Last June at Rosalie Lake near Red's Meadow they were eaten alive. While our big family backpack is planned for August, I'm going to take the kids for a short trip in June. I plan to have belt-and-suspenders ready with net clothes, tent, DEET, and maybe a few stogies for the kids to puff on.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Stogies… hadn't thought of that. Get the cheap Grenadiers, they taste awful and the kids will never be inclinded to take up smoking.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jim

We find that the Tahoe fabric from OWFINC is mosquito-proof. We use that on our shirts and trousers ('bushwhacking clothing, see articles at BPL).
    A loose top like I described will last a kid for a couple of years, growth not-withstanding.

Cheers

Dwight Mauk
    BPL Member

@melnik

I have an old pair of Patagonia Sailing Pants that are made of Suplex nylon, the skeeters can't get their noses through it. It's fun to watch a dozen bugs on my leg, all trying to get a bite, without one getting through. Some lighter versions of suplex are partially bite-proof, but the thicker versions are completely bite-proof.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools