Topic

safety razors

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) safety razors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Paul Sturrock

@byblow

One luxury I can't do without is shaving, but I've had it with cheap — albeit light — disposable razors. Does anyone know of a decent safety razor that weighs less than an ounce (28.35 grams)?

Samuel Kiltz

@casechopper

I've purchased from Giovanni at the Barberia Italiana http://www.razorandbrush.com/indexbarbieria.html before and he sells a wide variety of safety razors.

You could try some of his budget razors at the bottom of this page: http://www.razorandbrush.com/barberiaraz.html to see how they work. The plastic ones shouldn't weigh too much.

I personally own the treet delrin http://www.razorandbrush.com/Delrin.html and it's not too heavy (as compared to my Merkur's and Weishis) while still being pretty good quality and durable. It only costs $7.50 so you don't have much to lose if you give it a try.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I use BIC — the el cheapo ones they sell at WalMart, etc.

Jack Scheckton

@meestajack

Locale: Brooklyn

Maybe try to make a custom plastic handle for a razor like this, you could even try to integrate it with your toothbrush or some other part of your kit.
    Merkur Lightweight

barring that a travel razor might do… Merkur makes a 2.4oz travel razor.

Jack Scheckton

@meestajack

after looking through the link Samuel posted I'd try one of the plastic saftey razors… that can't weight more than 1oz or so.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

To each their own. If you feel the need, then definitely take it.

I find shaving a pain in the butt, and don't even trim my beard unless I have a business meeting to attend (I work out of my home office most of the time).

In another decade, I found that after 'heavy' exercise (such as BPing or running) the sweat irritated my skin after a fresh shave. That is why most pro atheletes shave AFTER the game.

I would imagine that Bic's are the lightest. Taking it to the extreme, and looking at multiple use items, could one use a Derma-Safe Folding Utility Knife as a razor too? Who wants to be the first brave soul to try?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I've found that generally, the more we trim our hair (wherever they are found) — the less we reek. YMMV.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

:)

And maybe reeking is good! No one will want to hike or camp near you. You get the wilderness to yourself.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good point. :)

Jack Scheckton

@meestajack

on the subject of irritation.

I have to say that after learning to shave properly with a saftey razor I no longer suffer any irritation.

that said though, I don't shave in the woods. that's part of the fun.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

How bout a big Crocodile Dubdee knife, or an axe. That's Butch!
    The only good disposable I ever had was a comp on from the desk at a Hilton, so if you have any friends that work at snazzy hotels…

Adam Behr
    BPL Member

@justsomeguy

I can't ever imagine wanting to shave in the backcountry, avoiding such annoyances IS one of the luxuries, for me. I guess that's where hiking your own hike comes in though, so…

The Gillette Fusion is, by far, the best razor I've ever used. Everyone I've discussed it with agrees, except those partial to electrics.

If I had to shave on the trail I'd probably just bring one of the disposable heads with me and use that.

It's too late at night for me to bother with trying to get my scale and one of the heads in the same place, but maybe someone more helpful will chime in (or I'll get a chance tomorrow). I'd be shocked if one wasn't well under an ounce.

It wouldn't be too hard to rig something that would let you attach a tent stake or pen or something else you'd have with you anyway to it to use as a handle. I've seen someone on here posting pictures of a toothbrush head with a little bit of rubber tubing that they then slip a tent stake into.

Or maybe you could just break out the Dremel and cut all but the last inch (or however much you find you need) of the handle off. I'd bet there's a length of handle that would let you shave comfortably while keeping the whole package under an ounce. I could be wrong. Would that be too much like the steroetypical ultralight hiker who cuts the handle off their toothbrush?

I'm hoping that helps, and that you let us all know what you end up settling on.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Or, you could drill holes in the handle of a BIC :)

A lot of work for a 25 cent item.

Jonathan Eberly
    BPL Member

@runningscared

I am a big fan of safety razors and straight edge razors and I just weighed all of them. The only one that weighs less than an ounce is my Dovo Shavette. It weighs 28.2 grams including blade.

If you already know how to shave with a safety razor you might have the skills to be able to use a straight edge safely.

As for irritation? I'll echo that learning to shave properly with a single blade has greatly reduced any irritation I may get. I never understood the point of having more blades. One blade never clogs and quickly notifies you of any imperfections in your technique. And having the precision to remove one hair at a time is quite nice when it comes to lining up those sideburns.

Paul Sturrock

@byblow

I thought this thread had died aborning; glad I checked back. Thanks for all the tips — good stuff.

I have a friend who used a hunting knife to shave. He didn't get the best results, but he's a macho dude.

By the way, do any of you use shaving oil? Any recommendations?

Also, I just read about the Avid4 shaving system for travelers and outdoorsmen. Claims to deliver 10 great shaves per cartridge and weighs only half an ounce (about 14 grams). http://www.trafalgarshop.com/catalog_ts/AVID4-Shaving-System-p-16140.html

Jonathan Eberly
    BPL Member

@runningscared

I have had great success with Jojoba Oil. Jojoba oil is a oil that is very similar to the sebum that our bodies naturally produce so it is very easily absorbed and safe to use. It can be found at any natural market or whole foods trader joe type store.

Good luck.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I've been using a product called "Ultrashave" every day for the past ten years and have found nothing that does as well in protecting my skin from razor burn or keeping my skin moist after the shave. It's basically a base oil and essential oils mixture that quite a few companies now make. Only a few drops are necessary for shaving and lasts all day long. So little is necessary that it's great for UL travel.

I couldn't find the Ultrashave Shaving Oil website from which I purchased my stash, but here is another one that is almost identical.

edit: I knew my memory was faulty! The product I use is called Ultimate Shave.

George Phoenix

@perrito

Locale: Joisey

I've been using Shave Secret with an Panasonic Wet/Dry for about a year and it's great stuff. I get it at Wally's:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10324376

Should be great for shaving while backpacking.

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

This is an excerpt from a poem called Saltbush Bill's Second Fight by nineteenth century Aussie poet Banjo Paterson.

For a good chuckle at some very funny poetry, read the whole thing for why it's not always advisable to trust clean-shaven blokes in the back country…

'Twas Stingy Smith on his stockyard sat, and prayed for an early spring,

When he stared at sight of a clean-shaved tramp, who walked with jaunty swing;

For a clean-shaved tramp with a jaunty walk a-swinging along the track
    Is as rare a thing as a feathered frog on the desolate roads outback.

So the tramp he made for the traveler's' hut, and asked could he camp the night;

But Stingy Smith had a bright idea, and he said to him, "Can you fight?"

Why, what's the game?" said the clean-shaved tramp, as he looked at him up and down

"If you want a battle get off that fence, and I'll kill you for half-a-crown!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Cute.

Here are some others:

To a man, ornithologists are tall, slender, and bearded so that they can stand motionless for hours, imitating kindly trees, as they watch for birds.
    – Gore Vidal

A beard signifies lice, not brains.
    – Greek Proverb

There is always a period when a man with a beard shaves it off. This period does not last. He returns headlong to his beard.
    – Jean Cocteau

When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers.
    – Ralph Waldo Emerson

In England and America a beard usually means that its owner would rather be considered venerable than virile; on the continent of Europe it often means that its owner makes a special claim to virility.
    – Rebecca West

If you are really Master of your Fate, it shouldn't make any difference to you whether Cleopatra or the Bearded Lady is your mate.
    – Ogden Nash

Chins without beards deserve no honour.
    – Spanish Proverb

Half a century has glided by since I used of of these barbarous instruments [razors], but I remain aware that they still exist and that some people actually carry them in their packs.
    – Colin Fletcher

Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
    – Mitch Hedberg

Getting ideas is like shaving if you don't do it every day, you're a bum."
    – Alex Kroll

He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man.
    – William Shakespeare

Joe Guilmette

@loltron

eager to resurrect a silly, three year old thread, i like the Merkur Travel Razor.

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Travel-Razor-Chrome-Plated-Leather/dp/B001LY5WZ2

.8oz, top end quality. the handle breaks down in to two pieces, so to save weight you can just bring one of the pieces. it's not cheap, but imo nothing worth owning is :)

i agree with the others, i can't imagine shaving on the trail. i travel quite a bit, and 6mo out of the year live out of backpack all over the world. i love this razor because you can get blades anywhere for dirt cheap. in the states, ironically, i have to buy them online. but even then, shipped they cost me $7 for 100.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Well, I shave when I come out but that Banjo Paterson is a heck of a poet. He writes/wrote like Robert W. Service or vice versa, I don't know. A fine read from the link above.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I grew my first beard after contracting Menier's syndrome (hellish, constant vertigo). I couldn't risk trying to shave. Used to take me 20 minutes just to sit up in bed W/O getting totaly dizzy. Taking a crap was an "adventure".

When I finally got over my malady months later I decided to keep the beard and did so for 10 years.

Then I returned from backpacking The Susquehannock Trail System in N. central PA and shaved it off after a bad trim job. That was in 1987. Now I DO shave every other day when backpacking. A Gillette disposable is my fav UL razor.

Anyway, I looked so much younger with a clean-shaven face that vanity kept me from ever growing it back. (Don't I look younger than 69 in my avatar? :o) Ah vanity, woman is not always thy name.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools