Topic

Looking for waterproofing compound

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Looking for waterproofing compound

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I am modifying a Eureka Solitare and making some changes. I know its iffy as far as tents go but I got it new for $35 so it should be worth the effort. I just want to make it a bit lighter and use it instead of a normal bivy to sleep in.

I should end up at around 2.25-2.5# with stakes and all.

I want to ………

Replace the tent poles with super light aluminum poles.

Go to titanium tent stakes

I also want to can the main fly and build a poncho/fly to replace it. I figure it will take roughly 60"x80" to do this and I want to use 1.25 oz Tyvek. I will use a dri ducks poncho that I already have as a pattern for the hood. I am thinking tyvek should provide a little better breathing.

That poncho/fly will cover just the main body though, so I was thinking about waterproofing the foot area which is about 16" deep instead of extending the poncho.

The way I am setting it up, if I wanted to extend the poncho that flap would be on the side.

Picture here….
    http://www.eurekatent.com/p-22-eureka-solitaire-tent.aspx#

Canning the fly and going to a tyvek or silnylon poncho/fly should save about 3-4 oz and it will save me the weight and space of carrying seperate rain gear.

1.1 silnylon would be a little more compact and maybe tougher ??.

At any rate if anybody knows of a good waterproofing compound for or has another suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

why only 80" long? Campmor's sil poncho tarp is 104" and pretty cheap at $45.

I think you could pitch the tarp over the bivy and leave the foot pole at home. Since it's bug mesh it will breathe ok draped over your lower half and the hoop will keep it off you upper body

You could always sew tie-outs to the top of the pole sleeves and leave the poles home. You could use trek pole or sticks to support the tarp and tie the bivy off to.

I think tyvek is unreliable as far as strength, others love it. I say why take the chance. If you really needed something breathable that'd be diff.

-Tim

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Makes sense, thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools