Topic

Drop Stoppers Micropore Rain-Suit?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Drop Stoppers Micropore Rain-Suit?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

What’s up with the Drop Stoppers Micropore Rain-Suit?

This suit, pants and rain parka are sold together for an amazing $9.99 (members price)!

And they weigh in at 10 ounces total!

XL jacket = 6.6 oz
    XL pants = 4.5 oz

WOW – This seems too good to be true?

What’s the catch?

The design looks simple to the point that it isn’t a fashion statement (or maybe it is?)

Here’s the BPL link:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/drop_stoppers_rain_gear.html

Anyone out there with some insights? I’m really curious…

thanks,
    Mike C!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I have DriDucks, which are similar to the Drop Stoppers.

The Good –

Truly lightweight and packable
    More breathable than any Goretex
    Cheap as heck

The Bad –

Fragile — you can tear this thing by hand — OK for trail use, but watch for branches!

Simple hood lacks a “beak” so rain can hit your face and eyes — I like to wear a waterproof UL cap under the hood.

The Ugly –

None

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

The catch is that they are not that durable. They have a texture something like a super paper towel. This can be a problem particularly with the pants. Don’t sit on too many rocks and be sure to get a big enough size.

But, that said they are great for the occasional summer shower. Often rain gear just rides around in your pack for very minimal use.

Another plus with these is they breath quite well.

These are my rain gear of choice for mostly fair weather. For rainy times I take a Packa and Golite Reed Pants.

Anonymous

People either hate these or love them. Material is not very robust. This is a known fact and not really a criticism of the product. They are good for on-trail use or for hiking in open areas. Not appropriate for bushwacking. They are easily repaired with some duct tape. With care, and perhaps some repair, they could last two or three years. You might also keep a pair in your vehicle for emergency use in the rain while changing a flat tire or walking for help from a disabled vehicle.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools