Topic

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 1 tent reviews

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 1 tent reviews

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Mike Feldman
    Spectator

@harpin-2

Locale: SE USA

Have not for solo backpacking in SE USA 3 season used 2 wall tent in awhile, mainly use TT Rainbow. That said have a REI 20% off coupon, and $400 in gift certificates burning hole in pocket! The Big Agnes 2 wall Fly Creek UL 1 tent, 86" by 42/30" by 38" high AND w/9 stakes, freestanding, poles, fabric at packaged weight of 35 ounces, min. weight 30 ounces? Love my single wall TT Rainbow, but at that weight, whether freestanding, or not, pretty light w/5-6 titanium stakes, couple rocks! Anyone have one, and has tried the Fly Creek! I have 4 separate 3-4 day/night trips in Late March thru mid/late April( Foothills trail in SC, AT/side trail loop Standing Indian Mt. area NC, Savage Gulf and Fiery Gizzard areas of Cumberland Plateau in E.TN) might consider trying this tent out, when not using the TT Rainbow. Any users? Thank you!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Given that you chose the Rainbow over many other smaller/lighter tarptents — methinks you might be one of those who appreciate decent interior space. If true, then I think you may not be unhappy with the BA Fly Creek.

I am a "space hog" and own a Rainbow and a BA SL2. I've crept into an SL1 once and just didn't like how the mesh close in on my face from both sides when sitting up. The Fly Creek will be very similar.

OTOH, if you're ordering from REI anyway — then why not give it a try? Returning is easy… :)

Shane B
    BPL Member

@shanebeers

Ugh, I'll never get my Fly Creek. I think it's backordered to hell and back from REI. :(

David Ure

@familyguy

Compared to your Rainbow, the Fly Creek is going to feel really, really small. Why? Because it is. Despite the apparent floor dimensions, you have pretty severe slopping walls so that the usable length is much less than 86 inches and sitting up will mean rubbing shoulders with the inner fabric not to mention much less headroom. If it sounds to good to be true then guess what?

Shane B
    BPL Member

@shanebeers

Have you used one? I've heard reports from actual users who say it's quite roomy.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Shane:

That one is going to be subjective. But when David and I both commented about the Fly Creek's small size — we did so in relation to OP's other tent — the near-palatial Rainbow. As stated above, I have crawled into an SL1 once and didn't like the crampness — when sitting up. I was told by one Fly Creek owner that it feels even smaller inside than the SL1…

Anyway, in case you didn't already know, there's a Fly Creek on sale at the Deal Swap branch.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Really? Roomy? This is pretty subjective, but after owning one I will tell you there is not 22 usable square feet. I have owned at last count 6 Big Agnes tents and will promise you they do not give true specs. The Fly Creek is a usable shelter at what is more like 17 or 18sf. If you have used the Seedhouse SL1 take out a little head room and space at the foot. The fly creek is far from perfect…if it was what BA said it was I might still own mine. It's a fine shelter just keep in mind BA specs.

David Ure

@familyguy

Exactly – thanks Ben. I was comparing it to the Rainbow as mentioned in the original post.

If you look at the footprint specifications, it is noticeably smaller than the SL1. Nothing wrong with that, of course. It is just that to go from a Rainbow to a Fly Creek is a big reduction in space for similar weight and higher price. Unless, of course, one is set on a double wall.

Shane B
    BPL Member

@shanebeers

I just picked mine up a few days ago at REI. It came in one of their standard loooong boxes, and I laughed out loud when I took out the tent. It's such a ridiculously tiny little slug when in it's stuff sack. Impressively light. I'll set it up once it dries out here to test it.

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes – please keep us posted on testing. Thanks Shane.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Impressively light. I'll set it up once it dries out here to test it."

Methinks you would want to test for rainproofness too?

Shane B
    BPL Member

@shanebeers

Right now I don't want to deal with drying it out for storage. I don't even have a balcony in this apartment, let alone a basement or garage.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yeah, that would be a real chore… but methinks at some point you might want to test it for rain and deal with drying it out and all — versus finding out when miles from nowhere. BA makes good tents but I had the unfortunate experience with one leaky fly — luckily discovered after an overnight rain test.

Jesse Wright

@neversatisfied

Locale: Bay Area

I picked-up a Fly Creek UL1 last week and took it camping in the rain. It held up nicely. As for roominess, that is a very subjective thing. I am 5' 10" and I fit in it ok, but I would not call it roomy. I have been using tarps for the last few years, but needed something for more extreme mosquito environments and torrential downpours. I made a video of my complete review of the tent and put it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtaCCjCnWw

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Or folks can click HERE.

Thanks, Jesse — a video shows so much more than photos ever can. The fly/floor/footprint material used for the Seedhouse SL series is 20D siliconized nylon. It's very durable — when properly cared for. Does anyone know the material for Fly Creek?

BTW, you can easily squeeze out about 5 more ounces by using Gossamer Gear polycro for groundsheet and ti shepherd hook stakes (I use 8 shepherd hook plus 1 "nail" stake that's good for pounding holes).

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I agree with Ben about the material used on the Seedhouse SL series. I have almost 100 nights in mine, and other than some staining on the floor, it is as good as new. There have certainly been times that I have quickly pitched the tent in the rain over grass, leaves, twigs, acorns, etc, and have been worried about puncturing the tent, but never have.

I know everyone's version of roomy is different, but I find the SL1 very roomy (especially width wise) compared to tents like the Hubba and Quarter Dome T1 which are barely wide enough for a pad. I spent 14 hours in mine this past Monday on the AT when a storm with 10" of snow and high winds hit.

The only thing that I am not sure about on the Fly Creek is that it is 4" shorter than the SL1. From what I understand, it wouldn't really affect "real world" space as they just took it out of the point at the end of the tent, but still something us six footers should be aware of.

Thanks for the review.

Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Locale: The Back of Beyond

Jessee,

Thanks for the review.

Michael Fite
    BPL Member

@mic98034

PRICE ALERT… … …
    LL Bean has the BA FlyCreek UL1 for $240 + $10 shipping to Seattle; plus you get a $10 gift card. That's the lowest price I've found (probably to mathch the 20% off at REI until 4/18?). I just ordered one from LLB and they claim it is in stock and will ship forthwith. BTW, REI is very backordered, said they expect to ship by end of Apr :-(

If you want more room consider the FlyCreek UL2; still super light.

Ryan Bowlby

@rbowlby83

Locale: East Bay

Unfortunately the UL2 on LLbean.com isn't avail till July. That would have been a good price. :(

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

theres one on gear swap right now by jonathan boozer which is still brand new, and another one on geartrade.com (50% off, very lil damage that is easily repaired)

David Ure

@familyguy

20% off at Moosejaw.com. If you use code CJSALE, you get another 10% off bringing the price to $215!

Jack Sharkbite

@trailscum666

Locale: pacific nw

Umm, so I've had my Seedhouse1 for a few weeks now and I've got like 15 nights in it…kinda bummed out. Slept in trees last night with no wind and had almost as much water inside the fly as was on the outside from rain.

My buddy has a Rainbow and pretty much wiped my ass all night.

Also have a pinhole in the floor from night 3.
    Durability…..?

Edited to remove needless profanities. Please remember we have minors reading these postings and keep it clean.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

David Ure

@familyguy

Did you get any condensation on you? Or was it as easy as shaking the fly to get all the condensation off it in the morning?

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Jack,

Can you give us more info about how both tents were pitched?

PS: Next time, bring your own TP. :D

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

1. Need to use a ground sheet.
    2. Condensation accumulates inside the fly and not in the tent body.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools