Topic

Silnylon vs Tyvek

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedMar 13, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Nothing too scientific here, just some observations.
The other day I was seam sealing the Scarp and the Sublite Tyvek when I noticed a substantial difference in comfort level inside the two ( I do the inside as well…)
This was in the sun around 28c (82f) in the shade.
It then started to rain on and off, the same yesterday. So I took some temperature measurements. The brief version is that fully enclosed ( Scarp with the inner and outer zipped up and Sublite with both mesh and Tyvek door done up) the Scarp was hotter inside than in the sun, 1-2c, the Sublite registered the same temperature as outside in the shade. At one point the difference was 9c ( 86f in the Sublite, 102f in the Scarp) . Opening the Scarp up (both inner and fly) dropped the inside temp slightly lower than in the sun, there was a little bit of a breeze at that point.
Condensation
After three nights, the result is the same. The Scarp has the top 2/3s of the inner wet but not dripping ( all sealed up for the test) with or without me inside, the Sublite remains dry, apart from a slight damp feeling near the apex after a 10 minute or so heavy burst of rain. Keep in mind that it was very humid with 19c (66f) as the lowest temperature at around 5 AM two morning in a row. So there is a lot of ground evaporation from the large vestibules in the Scarp. This morning just after 4AM I opened the Scarp up and immediately the dampness dissipated and was nice and cool inside my silk inner.
I had the Scarp inner out in the rain by it self, not water proof but fairly water resistant.
Franco
BTW, so far 1:50 sec is my best time for setting up the Scarp with 6 pegs.

PostedMar 13, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Franco,
Do you have the ICORTSU (International Commission on Rapid Tent Set Up) Timing Committee witness your set up time? A neighbor maybe? I take longer than 1:50 to find where I've packed my tent stakes.

PostedMar 13, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Franco,
Might the Scarp be hotter due to the color difference, not just the material. I should run a test between my Evolution 2P (Silnylon Marigold Fly) and my Sublite. I know it gets bloody hot in the E2P when pitched in the sun with the screen closed, and not much breeze.

In fact, I've got a "Granite" colored porch fly for the E2P and should test between the two fly colors. I'll put it on my list.

PostedMar 13, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Denis
You just have to take my word for it…
I timed myself because i wanted to see how it compared with setting up the Akto. I can do the Akto (showroom look…) in 3 minutes, so I was pretty sure after the first time that it would go up faster. Of course I don't expect those times to apply in real life (IE in the bush) but it just gives me an idea on what to expect.
Because I am testing a few different things I put it up 4 times yesterday , three around two minutes.
The all point is that it is pretty easy to do.
Still raining and found a couple of drops on the Sublite floor, right on line with one of the ridge seems. Now I have to find the gap in my seam sealing….
(During another heavy shower I got into the tent and realised that I did not have the floor set correctly and the water was coming in from the mesh on the door side).
Will post a picture later.Fixed that, dry interior.
More water resistant than I thought.
Obviously I will not be able to put as much tension on Tyvek as I do with silnylon , looks a bit like some other tent pics I see, IE slightly limp…
From the TT instructions " Treat it gently"
Franco
ICOURTSU (International Commission on Ultra Rapid Tent Set Up)

PostedMar 13, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Franco,

It is good to hear my own findings confirmed by a respected and well known, international tent guy in conditions much more adverse. BTW, why were you sealing the Sublite? It comes sealed from the shop.

PostedMar 13, 2009 at 8:32 pm

> It comes sealed from the shop.

Nope, not anymore. We added the screen door and didn't raise the price so had to cut back on something. We do include a vial of "glop" for seam-sealing and some scrap fabric in case of rips.

PostedMar 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Denis
Apparently black is best at absorbing and white at reflecting heat, so yes , white would help. Tyvek also "breaths" whereas silnylon doesn't so the two combine to make the difference. Of course those two shelters are completely different, but I would assume that if you had a Sublite Sil and Tyvek side by side under the sun the Tyvek would be noticeably cooler.
To cool down the Contrail I set it up a couple of times with a tarp on top of it, a few inches above, that worked OK.
DIY seam sealing in exchange for the mesh door. Sounds pretty fair to me since I finished the top in about 15 minutes, so I did the inside as well because I had too much goo left. Still have a bout 1/3rd of that bottle. I do the silnylon tents like that but provably would have not bothered except that I was having a good close up look at it anyway.
Franco

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...