Have any BPL members used the Alpinlite Cirriform(1). It is maid out of Cuban comes in at 3.1oz at 7ft ridgeline by 9ft front width by 7ft rear width? WOW!! Seems to good to be true!! Any users out there?
Thanks for any feedback?
Topic
Become a member to post in the forums.
Have any BPL members used the Alpinlite Cirriform(1). It is maid out of Cuban comes in at 3.1oz at 7ft ridgeline by 9ft front width by 7ft rear width? WOW!! Seems to good to be true!! Any users out there?
Thanks for any feedback?
No experience here.
But being made out of 0.30 Cuben, I have to wonder how they have done the joining and reinforcing. If there is stitching that is not taped I would be very suspect of its integrity under dynamic loads.
I suggest you buy one and thoroughly test it in spring alpine conditions. I'd be glad to write the report.
Jay, I thought that would catch your eye after seeing your posts about the BPL nano tarp…
In the product description, it says the seam is taped and not sewn for that reason alone. Bill F has no problem sewing his 0.33 oz cuben and he has made tarps and ponchos with the stuff – maybe he can chime in. You can assume that you would have to be more careful with it but I think we all know how to handle gear like that.
I'm more interested in the company itself. Did they just pop up or have they been around for a while? They have some innovative stuff.
Hey Greg, There website gives a good explanation of the stitching and reinforcement of combining the Cuban material together. It looks promising but I need more INPUT-INFO-KNOWLEDGE…. Some body on the website surely has used one before!!!
>I'm more interested in the company itself. Did they just pop up or have they been around for a while?
I was wondering the same thing. I fancy myself pretty knowledgeable about small mfgs, but I haven't come across them either. I know they like Sketch-up, but little else given their lack of "about us" page. That's a missed opportunity.
I had forgotten all about Alpinlite.
http://www.alpinlitegear.com/
I bought a package of stuff sacks from him a few years ago off eBay. They are just as good as any others, and he seemed to be professional about the transaction. That's all I know.
The cuben tarp looks like it needs some center tie-outs. The 5×8 sil-tarp for $40 looks like a decent buy.
They also have have a very good looking bug shelter that is under 10oz—perfect for a solo tarp guy!
Like Tom, I bought some sil-nylon stuff sacks from him a year ago or earlier. He has been selling the Bod-i-bags for at least a couple of years.
Google shows Gen Shimizu as leading some trips for a Virginia college hiking club. I think he mentioned once that he was making carbon fiber articles at a day job. I like his honesty about the poncho tent not covering all of your lower legs in back when being worn.
Google shows Gen Shimizu as an actor born in 1907, a medieval warrior, and as someone who hiked the AT and most of the PCT this century. So was he on the PCT on his 100th birthday? ;) The PCT trail moniker was Magnet and he owns a website, adventureonthePCT.com along with the gear making site.
Gen Shimizu
I admit I'm slower then most, but surely I'm no the only one who missed something here. Who is this guy?
…in the comment section of the tarp's description…
"• A 0.6 oz Cuben Fiber version may be available at request.
• Extra tie-outs along long edge can be added at request."
That would still be a 6 oz tarp.
Is the 7-0' ridgeline too short? Would it be better to pitch it with the 9-6' as the ridge?
it is a 7' x 9'6" tarp. 9'6" is the ridgeline
-Tim
I emailed Gen and asked about construction details. He replied with these images and comments.(I built the composite shown here.)
"The second layer of fabric is bonded along the edge using a 1/4" strip of double-sided tape.
"The two tie-outs located at each end of the ridgeline are sewn through one layer of tape in addition to the two layers of Cuben.
The bottom two images are closeups of the loaded corner. Gen commented
"..close up photos of a corner tie-out loaded to 51 lbs…
"In [these] photos you can see one layer of Cuben starting to fail. The failure originates from the stress concentrations created by the thread used to secure the tie-out.
"Note that in the field, this kind of loading is highly unlikely, especially if using stakes. (If tied to a tree/branch you might experience this kind of loading if the tree sways under heavy wind.)

If anyone wants the high res images let me know, or I could post them here.
I am impressed with the speed and thoroughness of his response as well as his willingness to show the static test results, warts and all.
After I received Gen's email I replied and said I was going to post these images here.
He responded
"I wanted to let you know that I am investigating a catenary ridgeline for the Cirriform. The biggest problem I have with the current tarp is slack in the ridgeline because the tape does not stretch much compared to the Cuben.
"The catenary ridgeline should take care of this problem but I need to take some more time to discover any unforeseen issues with taping such a curve and subjecting it to stress."
Become a member to post in the forums.