Topic

Warm sleeping socks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Warm sleeping socks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

I`ve been looking for a pair of warm sleeping socks for a while and was wondering what people thought of the Bufflo socks made by Needlesports in the UK, and the ID Hotsocks for in camp/sleeping in?
    I have a set of Smartwool Mouteneer and a few pairs of Hiker socks that I have been useing in my bag, but right now I`m thinking of possaly upgrading.
    For cold tempratures I have a pair of the MEC hut booties.
    Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I bought some light fluffy socks while in France for sleeping in. I don't think they would last too many miles inside a pair of shoes, but I have *never* worn them in shoes.

I think what I want as bed socks is almost the opposite of what I want in walking socks.

Cheers

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

I like the possum down socks available here at BPL. No good for using in boots or shoes, but wonderful for sleeping. I carry down booties for really cold nights and use them over the possum down.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've been very happy with ID Hotsocks for around camp and Possum Down socks for sleeping in.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Sounds like I`m not really getting anything much extra by buying sleeping spicific socks. I might just stick w/ my Smartwool Mounteneers in winter and my Smartwool Hikers in summer..

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

I`d really love any feedback from people who have used these!

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

Ah… Possum Down socks!

Another perpetually out of stock item from BPL!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I have some warm, stretch fleece socks for sleeping, I think they're from Acorn.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Weigh whatever socks you're looking at as booties may be warmer. I was surprised to learn that one of my heavier REI Wool socks was the same a a pair of Nunatak Teenaway booties which came in at 4-5oz depending on the fabric. The booties were ultimately warmer…for the same weight.

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

Another vote for Possum Down Socks for sleeping in. Amazingly more warm than smartwool, etc. For those unwilling to wait for a BPL re-stock, they can be found elsewhere in the world of cyber shopping.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I've bought possum and merino gear from Chocolate Fish. Looking at their site, shipping is about $14 to the US.
    They have limited stock on socks at the moment though.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi James

> The booties were ultimately warmer…for the same weight.
    Probably so, but what is the $ comparison like?

Cheers

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Sorry, just still trying to get an idea of how warm the ID socks are – like smartwook hikers, mountenrres?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I just got my ID Hotsocks in the mail today…
    I'm pretty impressed.
    They pack to the size of a coke can, weigh 4.9 oz, and are super warm and comfortable- more so than any house slippers/booties I have.
    Looks like they'll definitely become a permanent part of my winter kit.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Ok, slightly diversionary, but… I made up some down socks for sleeping. For a men's size 8-10 they weigh 2.85 ounces, very warm!

Jonathon Rogers

@signet77

Locale: East TN

I find the Hot Socks are good for around camp down to the mid-teens Fahrenheit. Below that I add the pair of thin wool hiking socks I'll be wearing the next day underneath and have taken this down to the single digits, though I would say down booties would be better in single digit temps.

I wear them with Tyvek overboots for camp chores and then without overboots for sleeping. I just used them last night…high 20's, nice and toasty sitting around.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

I too use the hot socks and like them. I find they're more comfortable to walk on and a little warmer if I use the inserts from my shoes inside.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools