Topic

Insulating Layer

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
PostedMar 11, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I'll be on the NC section of the AT in early April. Temps should be 30-40s at night, but could dip down.

I understand I need an insulating layer beneath my Golite Virga jacket.

Would a thin wool sweater work well? I also have a button down flannel that is 80% wool, 10% poly, and 10% acrylic. Would one of these work?

Under this I'll have a lightweight wool tshirt and light poly thermals.

Being from Florida makes this REALLY hard to figure out.

PostedMar 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm

That sounds about right.
For that kind of camping I'm happy with a simaler system but use a 100 weight fleece. Be use to pack a warm hat and some 100 weight fleece gloves. A base layer or waterproof for your legs helps also.

Personly I wear a Patagonia Cap1 top and bottom, a set of clean warm wool socks, my hiking pants, a 100 weight fleece, rain jacket or windshirt and a fleece or wool hat. For arround freezing I also have a set of 100 weight gloves. For a truly great system add a puff jacket or pullover like the patagonia micropuff or OR Fraction. If you run cold add 100 weight tights under your pants.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Loading...