Topic

Uh Oh…..”Fastpacking”!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Uh Oh…..”Fastpacking”!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

The term recently came up in a thread, annoying many. A dirty little secret…I have been guilty of many "fastpacking" trips.
    I'm completely ambivalent about the term; call me what you will. Maybe it's accurate in some circumstances. Maybe it's pure marketing hype in others.

I found a link to this article about the origins of the term on Anton Krupicka's blog today- it's from a late 80's issue of Ultrarunning Magazine.

I think claiming fame to coining a term is a little hard to prove, but it's a good article nonetheless.

…I'm sure Ray Jardine has claimed he invented and patented it somewhere ;)

http://www.users.qwest.net/~cirnielsen/wind88.html

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Not saying you, but just thinking generally that too many folks are too into labeling… HYOH. I care little about these clever (and not so clever) terms.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

In that context the term has merit. It bears little resemblance to leaving home the inner wall of a tent. I am curious what was in those fanny packs.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

From the linked article: "carrying some 18-24 pounds each."

In a fanny pack?

My first sighting of a trail runner was about 1983. I was on the John Muir Trail about 15 trail miles north of Whitney. Late afternoon a guy trots up wearing two fanny packs stacked up. I ask where he's camped and he says he started from the portal (25 miles away) that morning and he's headed for Onion Valley (another 30 miles) with a bivouac somewhere in between.

It sounded crazy at the time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools