Topic

“weave” a dog leash from climbing cord

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear “weave” a dog leash from climbing cord

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I had a great dog leash made out of climbing perlon, kind of a macrame, with a ‘biner on one end and a hand loop woven in the other. And of course it’s been stolen…so I’m not an idiot [thanks bill for not jumping on this], I can do this, but maybe I could use a couple of well placed hints. I’ve got quite of bit of retired 5mm or ?

Aubrin Heinrichs

@aubrin

Check out leather weaving techniques like a lariat weave (best) or a round weave (easy.) If you can find a scout troop they should have someone who teaches leather working. Or if there is a tack shop in you area they may have instructions or know where to point you.
    Sorry I can’t give you more than names to look for but it has been a while since I have done any weaving.

By the way the hand loop is called a eye splice and the biner is attached most likely with an end splice.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Thanks for the information, I now know 1000 percent more then I did before…I still think if I can tie a grapevine knot in the dark I can make a tri-colored dog leash in the light. There were just a few other things in life I thought I could do also…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Why not just a simple braid, or get a little fancier and use doubled strands, giving you six strands? Unless you have a real monster or one that like to chew, that should be more than enough.

I was at the docks where our local commecial fishermen berth and make repairs and watched a fellow tie up his golden retreiver with some 3/4″ line. He was barely down in the hold before the dog had chewed through the rope and wandered down the dock. I was amazed how easily the mutt bit through the line.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools