Topic

looking for a 5 day 4 night loop in SMNP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips looking for a 5 day 4 night loop in SMNP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Me and the Mrs. are looking for a 4 night 5 day, 40-50 mile loop in Smokey Mts. We're trying to get up in the high country, see some big trees, and if possible camp out in elk country. Anybody out there in hiker-land done one of these? What ya'll got for me?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Here's a trip report for one I did with my gf last year.

Trip Report

It was designed as a 6 day trip (came out of backpacker mag) and is around 60 miles. We did it in 4 so it should be doable in 5 with no issues.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

I have that issue of backpacker and I forgot about it, got to go dig it out. My wife and I dug your blog, we saw a big bear by lake fontanna last year on our honeymoon, wonder if it was the same one. He was a big fat fellow. Oh, and if we meet any hillbillys cookin' trout, we'll take 'em up on it.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

I would plan it to where you can do some hiking on the AT and Lakeshore Trail.

Start at the Lakeshore Trailhead at the end of Lakeview drive. Hike up to the AT via Lakeshore trail and then Forney creek trail. Once you get to the AT head south and resupply in Fontana. Then take Lakeshore trail back to your car. Its probably about 80 miles.

I plan on doing that this summer but it will probably take me 6 or 7 days, maybe longer???? I plan on doing some bass fishing around the lake and some trout fishing at Hazel creek.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Thanks, we did some hiking around Fontanna Lake last year and had a good old time. We also did a hike up to Maddron Bald and we stayed at cosby campground in your neck of the woods. We still haven't decided what we're doing this year bit we might do the lake again.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

I'm bumping this 'cause we still haven't made our minds up. we did the lake last year and we want something different. We want something in the high country (cooler) and loops are better since we're going in one car.

Are there any shuttles?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools