Topic

Swiss Gear CF Treking Poles

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Timothy Foutz BPL Member
PostedMar 11, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I found a new item at Sam's Club today. They have some Swiss Gear Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles. They seem to be of very good qaulity with a good twist lock that seems very firm. I could not get them to colapse under pressure unlike my Komperdel CF poles. They are less than 50 bucks per set. Seems like a great deal to me. I bought a set to play with I will post to this thread as I test them out.

PostedMar 11, 2009 at 6:28 pm

SwissGear is not a name I associate with high quality kit. My first question would be, are they true carbon fiber or simply carbon fiber wrapped aluminum?

Are you sure there's any CF in them at all? Are they actually called carbon fiber or just carbon? For instance, LEKI ULTRALITE MAKALU TITANIUM TREKKING POLES are in fact made of aluminum. Gotta love those marketing folks.

50 bucks sounds pretty……inexpensive for CF telescoping poles.

The SG website does not show them. A site search for "carbon fiber" turned up nothing. The site only shows the common aluminum model sold at Wal-Mart.

I'll be waiting for your comments with interest.

Timothy Foutz BPL Member
PostedMar 12, 2009 at 9:22 am

They are CF not CF wrapped. I will weigh them when I get a chance. They are about he same weight as my Komperdels infact I suspect do to the way the strap is attached that they maybe made at the same place in China. Not sure but it sure does seem strange. Like I said I COULD NOT get hem to collapse even with all my weight on one and pushing down as hard as I could. I will get a weight up soon. I am buying a scale that weighs stuff in grams all I have now is a food scale that stops at 500 grams and a hanging fish scale that only works in ounces and pounds. I am getting a digital scale in the next few days that weighs in grams.
These things seems to be the real deal and very nice poles just not a great brand name. I will say that the 10 dollar poles walmart have worked great for everyone I have seen use them..

John S. BPL Member
PostedMar 12, 2009 at 10:46 am

I'll wager that if one pole weighs in the vicinity of 15 oz or more, they are only part carbon, usu the upper, and lower often aluminum.

I also reported in a recent post that the walmart outdoor products poles are selling with flicklocks, like black diamond poles.

PostedMar 12, 2009 at 10:47 am

And they seem fairly stout, but very heavy for CF. I would expect that they weigh what light aluminum poles weigh, probably in the 18+oz range.

Also saw omniwool long underwear at Sam's that seemed like a fairly good deal at $20 for either tops or bottoms. Quality was similar to the omniwool socks – in other words very similar to smartwool….(perhaps should be another thread if there is any interest in discussing).

Brian J

Timothy Foutz BPL Member
PostedMar 12, 2009 at 1:07 pm

They weigh 243 grams or just a bit over 8 ounces each with tip guards removed. That is about a pound for the pair. They are anti-shock and twist lock. Max usable length is 52 inches. They really seem be a sweet set of poles. Esp. taking into account the locking problems with Komperdel/REI poles. These almost seem like Leki poles in lock strength. They seem to be an exellent set of poles.
One more thing "Mountain Smith" poles are the same as the Swiss Gear sold at Gander Mountain, Walmart, and Dicks. The only thing that changes is the price. I suspect the poles were made at the same place as some top of the line poles in China.
The Omni wool socks are great I have about 20 pairs. They are the same as Smart Wool Hikers. Very nice socks. The base layers are 80% poly not wool. I have used them for skiing and they are fine I just prefer the real thing in the woods to keep the smell down and the body oils off of my quilt or bag. Sam's has a clone of Frogg Toggs instock very nice and light same section as the pole 25 bucks for the set.
Also beaware that the Swiss Gear gear sold at Sams is not the same as what is listed on the swiss gear site. It is higher end. I have gotten some really cool stuff there.

PostedMar 12, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Good info. I thought they weighed more but – now that I think about it – there are the tags and plastic that holds the pairs together. Less than 15oz/pair is nice for those. I thought the grips were fairly nice and substantial as well.

If I did not recently buy the REI CF poles I'd pick up a pair.

Brian J

Timothy Foutz BPL Member
PostedMar 12, 2009 at 1:54 pm

The grips are very nice and the poles are solid. I will more than likley give this set away because I have a set of Lekis and a set of Komperdels. I really got these to give to my brother. I may just give him the Komperdels and keep these. I am going to use them for a hike on Saturday I will decide after that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...