I am going to be treking and traveling through Asia for about 6 months. I did a similar trip in Europe and learned my lesson, that a comftorable pack is probably the most important thing you can buy. I am petit (5' tall, 110 lbs) so I think a womens pack would suit me best. I would also like something that is waterproof since the worst thing would be for all my stuff to get wet after hiking all day, and front loading seems to be nice. Since I am going to be using this pack everyday for a while I am willing to spend a little more money. There are so many options so if anyone has any experience where they can give me some sound advice about a pack I would appreciate it!
Topic
Ultra Comftorable Womens Pack
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Are you looking for a travel pack to carry all of your stuff in, or just a day pack to hike with, and use more like a carryon?
I am basically looking for a larger backpack to carry all my stuff in; it will be the main bag I will take with me on my trip. I am planning on doing a few longer hiking trips (3-4 days) so something that can carry a tent ect. would be neccessary.
This is not UL at 3 lbs and 5 oz, but it is comfortable; 3350 CU IN.
http://www.rei.com/product/773927
My wife has the old Jade 50 and is 4'11" and 150 lbs and she finds that this is comfortable….I have used the Men's version of this, the Z55 and found it very comfortable over multiple days.
Just not sure that it has the capacity that you might want/need for an extended trip.
It has a mess vented back that keeps your back from getting really sweaty and the hip belt does a great job of carrying the load comfortably.
If you need something bigger, I think that Gregory has the Z line with bigger capacities…though, the Jade Series is specifically for women and tend to have a smaller capacity than the men's.
Would not be waterproof…few packs would be unless you get into the Arc'Teryx packs at $500!
http://www.rei.com/product/780142
For whatever it is worth, Backpacker magazine listed the Z55 and Jade 50 two years ago as the most comfortable packs in any size catagory they tested that year.
Hope that this helps.
Safe journey/adventure!
-Tony
Eagle Creek makes really good 'hybrid' travel / hiking backpacks. This means they are "compromise packs" — so if you can keep your pack weight fairly light — then they will be more than comfy enough — and you can also enjoy the benefits of panel loading, multiple compartments, lockable compartments, and many other travel-savvy features. They make various women-specific packs too.
Here's one way to keep your pack weight light: pack as if you were only going hiking — then throw in a guidebook, passport, plastics and some cash. That should be it.
What works for hiking (e.g. synthetics, wicking, quick drying apparels) carries over to traveling as well. Buy hiking clothes and shoes in simple style and colors — avoiding anything with that exaggerated outdoorsy look — and you won't have to double up on anything when doing urban sightseeing. Shoes? One pair of dark brown or black trailrunners plus a pair of sandals (or even flip flops) should be all you need for all but the most formal occasions.
Become a member to post in the forums.

