Topic

really long bag for a really tall guy

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
PostedMar 11, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Can anyone help me? I'm looking for a really long bag. My boyfriend is 6 foot 9 inches. He has tried a North Face "Goliath" but it doesn't fit his height or girth. The height on that bag isn't bad as he doesn't care if his head fits in the hood. Its more around his shoulders that he needs the extra space. Can anyone tell me the larges bag on the market? We would prefer it to be somewhat lightweight. Thanks!

Boozer BPL Member
PostedMar 11, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Western Mountaineering offers 3 bags in 7ft length. The Badger, Ponderosa and Kodiak. Also these are larger girth bags.

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedMar 11, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Mellisa, your man suffers from giganticism. It's not uncommon amongst us (ahem Brett…). Obviously, with that type of height, you have limited options. One being the above mentioned Feathered Friends. You could also contact Nunatak, Jacks R Better, or Mountain Laurel Designs. I do know that Nunatak will make any size you want. I am not sure if JRB or MLD will make custom sizes. You will have to contact them to see if they will.
HTH
Steve
p.s. If you really love him, Nunatak is the way to go :)

Edit upon JB's post: WM offers stellar products, I didn;t know they had such large sizes. Your love would be equally shown with them.

PostedMar 11, 2009 at 1:24 pm

The Feathered Friends bag would be the way to go. If you want cheaper combining a insulated jacket with a regular sleeping bag would work.

Jay Wilkerson BPL Member
PostedMar 11, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Sounds like you would need to get a custom bag made by either Western Mountaineering or by Nunatak also check out MLD they make custom stuff too.

-2 Cents Worth

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedMar 11, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Synthetics just aren't as cool. And I can't think of anyone that does a custom synthetic; if you spend the money for a custom bag, you want something that will loft for 15+ years.

PostedMar 11, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Melissa,
A major advantage of down over synthetic here is that it will pack a Lot smaller that the amount of synthetic needed for the same temperature range.

Which leads into the next question –
What temperature range do you need?

And while we're at it – In a southeast Alaska rain forest, or a southwest desert?

Tim Marshall BPL Member
PostedMar 11, 2009 at 5:59 pm

I can make a quilt with 5oz XP insulation up to 90" long for $160 (max 60" wide) This is with a zipper or snaps use to make a flat quilt have a footbox. Drawcord at head and feet. I can also use XP2.5oz or COMBAT 3.7oz. Both would be a little cheaper.

-Tim

PostedMar 12, 2009 at 10:40 am

Well we are in Ontario Canada. We don't do much winter camping. What I am looking for is a 3 season bag or quilt. 30 degree would be good..

Tim I'm interested in what you can do.

Richard Lyon BPL Member
PostedMar 12, 2009 at 11:11 am

Melissa, I have an extra long Feathered Friends bag (Lark model, I think) that's several years old but little used – it's too long for me (I'm only 6'4"). If you have any interest PM me and I'll measure and weigh it. It was advertised as 7 feet. Thanks, Richard

PostedMar 12, 2009 at 11:30 am

Check out the Marmot stuff also. They say 6'6" for their long but it seems that it goes a little more than that and the 64" girth. He can always use any 15F degree long bag as a quilt. Feathered Friends is just way to expensive to buy anything custom from them.

I would go with the Badger and just quilt it out for normal use and then he would be safe incase it dipped below the range.

Or go with Richard's.

And if anyone sees a WM Caribou in a long for sale, let me know please.

PostedMar 12, 2009 at 12:23 pm

I never really considered myself a giant. But I do consider most other people 'small folk'.

PostedMar 12, 2009 at 12:33 pm

I'm 6'6" and have the same problem. I had a Goliath at one time and it was a decent bag, but it is just too impractical for lightweight applications (heavier and bulkier than reasonable). The truth is, for 3-season stuff he can get by with a "long" from most manufacturers for the simple reason that he'll likely be wearing a top layer anyway to help with the insulation. Using this method, he'll be just fine as he doesn't need to be under the bag up to the top of his head. Keep in mind, some manufacturers offer bags that only come 2/3's of the way up anyway for this reason as he can save weight without getting a 6'9"+ bag.

In case you want suggestions, I have a custom Feathered-Friends bag for winter and a Western Mountaineering Caribou MF Long which I cut out the zipper, added straps, and use as a quilt for everything else. Both are truly excellent products.

Tim Marshall BPL Member
PostedMar 12, 2009 at 3:51 pm

If you are still interested you can e-mail me at tmarshall @ charterinternet . com

-Tim

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Loading...