Topic

Contrail vs. Lunar Solo: which works for tall users

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Dave . BPL Member
PostedMar 11, 2009 at 10:52 am

So, I'm looking for some feedback from Contrail and Lunar Solo users.

Are any of you 6'4" or taller? I wonder if either shelter works well for taller hikers.

I have the Lunar Solo and I've used it twice. Neither time was particularly successful. My face was right up against the wall. Before I sell it, I'd like to make sure that it really is too short and I'm not just pitching it poorly. (Unfortunately, I can't practice my pitching skills at home given that my Brooklyn back yard is all concrete except for the garden beds.)

I'm not sure that the Contrail would suit me any better either.

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

PostedMar 11, 2009 at 11:01 am

The Contrail will work very well, as will the Rainbow. I use a 'Long' bag and neither end of the bag will touch either end of the Contrail. It is really nice to have all of that height over my head when I sleep. The shelter is longer and wider than just the footprint specs as there is angled perimeter mesh along the walls that attach to the fly, which angle out several inches.

I have never used the Lunar but have bee in The One, which is similar in in shape. I hated having the fabric so close to my face (same with the Akto).

PostedMar 11, 2009 at 11:02 am

Dave,

I am 6'4" and I have used a GG "The One" for the last year. The space provided inside the shelter is more than adequate.

Dave . BPL Member
PostedMar 11, 2009 at 11:11 am

David – Yeah, I have the Double Rainbow & use it when camping with my girlfriend. It's certainly long enough. I might be cheap and just use that when I'm out solo too. It's only a few ounces heavier than the solo Rainbow.

Good to hear that you think the Contrail would work. How tall are you though, just out of curiosity?

Ryan – I don't know, man. According to the specs, The One is 4" shorter than the Lunar Solo. And, something about spinn shelters (the price maybe) just puts me off. Thanks for the tip though.

More generally, I'm thinking that, if I can't find a tarptent for tall folk, I might just get a tarp from MLD. If the bugs are going to be bad, I can use the Double Rainbow.

Still, I'd like a solo tarp tent that is long enough. Bugs can be pretty bad here in the NE.

Dave . BPL Member
PostedMar 11, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Brett and Dave,

Sounds like the Contrail is long enough.

How about height? Can you guys sit up straight at the front of the tent near the door?

PostedMar 11, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Dave – I am 6'1" so shorter than you but forced to use long bags. But I am wide and was astonished at the space. Much, much more than The One. In fact, I am not sure how Ryan fits. Even on a Torsolite, on my side, with my long bag as far as it could go before touching the end of the shelter my SHOULDER was touching the sloping wall. Is it doable? Yes but it is cramped.

The Contrail is remarkably roomy.

PostedMar 11, 2009 at 12:15 pm

I'm 6'2" and use a 6'6" bag.
The Contrail is plenty roomy (I've even slept my 7 year old son in it with me comfortably) in length.
To sit up in it you need to stay near the front, but yes, you can sit up fine.
Now that I'm reading you're 6'4", it might be a little low in front.

I had the Contrail but switched to a GoLite Shangri-La 3 for my non-tarp/bad weather shelter.
It weighs less than the contrail (if you use trekking poles) and has TONS more room (albeit no floor/mesh).
You can even pitch it in a duomid style, staking out only four corners for a smaller footprint.

Even if you added a one man MLD bug bivy with floor, it still weighs about 2 oz. less than a Contrail and you'd have a bona-fide palace- ample room for gear, cooking, sasquatch, strip poker, whatever.

Just a thought for bigger folk- that's why I did it.

PostedMar 11, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Could it be that Ryan uses a thin mat inside The One ?

Dave
You can set up a tent on concrete (known to us Italians as low maintenance lawn) I set up the Contrail in my bedroom the other day…
Add some rope to the guylines and wrap that around pots or anything heavy, something like a deadman anchor .
Franco

Tim F BPL Member
PostedMar 11, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Dave,

I'm 6'3" and had a Lunar Solo. The room when laying down was okay, when I had the side tieouts staked out to 2' tall sticks. The sitting up room is what made me decide to sell it. High quality product, just not big enough for me. I recently acquired a TT Rainbow- and though I have not yet spent a night in it, I love it. Two people my size (6'3", 235#) could sit across from each other indian-style. Plenty long for my long Megalite, and wide. 9 ounce penalty, but worth every one. Hope this helps.

Mary D BPL Member
PostedMar 11, 2009 at 2:13 pm

I haven't tried the Contrail. I found the SMD Lunar Solo a bit snug for me, though I'm only 5'3". I use a 2.5" POE pad and a thick pillow, which put my head really close to the tent wall. Guying the walls out did help a little. But it took a considerable learning curve to be able to sit up from a lying position without brushing my sleeping bag hood against the tent wall. I don't see how someone over 6' could possibly manage this feat even with a thin sleeping pad.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...