Topic

Son of Balrog – The Real Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Son of Balrog – The Real Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Paul, Thanks. When I first started this stove I wanted it to go toward something like a Jet-Boil with a built- in wind screen. That fell by the wayside as it got lighter and lighter.

It might be a good time to come back to something like that with a new stove. Some of what I wanted to do wasn’t possible because I couldn’t get some parts I wanted. I still can’t get the parts but I have learned how to make some things and maybe I can figure out how to make the other stuff I want. Snow Peak has some new Ti pots that might work. I will have to see if I can find a place here that sells them and take a look at them. I think SP calls them stacking pots. One thing I want is a larger pot than comes on the Jet-Boil.

Note: New Product from Jet Boil. Shown at the Winter OR Show – 2006.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Bill,

When you say “stackable pots” are you talking about these Stackable Cups or something else?

They cups are double walled… are you thinking about modifying them into a pot? Cutting off the bottom of the outside layer and drilling holes through the top of the outside layer? If so, that could be interesting…

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas
    Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

I had thought about getting the Ti Single Cup and cutting the handle off with snips or something.

I have tossed around the idea someone on this site mentioned about cutting/prying the handles off one of the larger mugs (450 or 600?), but I dont know how messy this would be with how the handles are “tack” welded on the sides. With the single cup, I suspect one could just snip the handle and sand any exposed sharp edges.

Thoughts?

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

What about the Snow Peak Trek series? They offer them in titanium (and maybe aluminum – I can’t remember for sure); they’re also fairly tall, and have similar capacities. They do nest. They also have folding handles – the stacking pots don’t seem to have handles, which means you’ll also need a pot lifter? Each Trek pot has a fry pan/lid – which could easily be replaced by a piece of aluminum foil.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools