A few pictures that I took to satisfy my own curiosity and maybe give a bit more of an idea of what is like inside.
This feels like the largest solo shelter I have been in. Particularly because of the bright interior and the two vestibules it appears even bigger than the specs would suggest.
Some have noted a passing resemblance to a notorious Swedish shelter, well it is definitely larger.(inside)
As there was some original discussion about floor length and what size person could fit inside, my measurements give me 84 usable inches. Note that there are a few inches of space between the inner and the fly. Also that it is longer again just above the floor bottom.
One picture is of a possible use for the tie- out loop on the pole sleeve and the other is of a Delrin buckle,to help with the zip closure. I called that a better idea.
The mat is an Exped Downmat 7 ,71x 20×2.7"(180x51x7cm), shoes size 9. ULA Circuit pack.
Franco





Topic
TT Scarp 1-the inside story
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Thanks for the pictures Franco. It looks fantastic. I liked it before, but this really makes me want to crawl in one.
Thanks for the photos Franco. In spite of the outlay I have made on tents this last several months, your photo layout has resurrected my gear lust.
Franco, in your opinion, does this tent feel like to you an open alpine ridge 4 season tent to you?
I am not talking Himalaya weather I am talking Colorado Rockies, California Sierra winter weather. Snow load, winds, spindrift, etc.
My little BD Lighthouse is easy to set up and secure, with winter staking procedures is this tent gonna be difficult to get tight?
Thanks,
Chris
I love these sort of pics… thanks Franco. I especially like the fact that you've included the sleeping bag and pack — it gives a good sense of perspective that is missing from nearly all product shots (not just Henry's).
The small details and the trekking pole setup is also very informative.
Cheers Franco!
Thanks guys.
Don't tell Henry , but because of the perspective and the overly tall model , that picture of the Scarp in the air makes the shelter look smaller than it is.
Christopher, at this point I don't really want to venture an opinion on that. As you provably know Chris Townsend is testing it for BPL, so his view will be much more accurate than mine. Helps that Chris has been using the Scandinavian version for some time.
The pole pic is more to show where the tie out is than how I would use it, but not far from it.
Franco
This is another not so obvious feature. Without unclipping the inner you can pull back the floor so that you end up with about 80cm (31") of space between that and the pole tip.
An easy way of doing that is to lean the pack against the inner. (that leaves enough room for the mat )
Franco

Christopher
To me the Scarp with 6 pegs feels a bit like the Lighthouse with 4.
Adding the main pole guyouts will help a lot with side wind , not sure if the gap at the bottom really makes much difference here compared to the flat door panel of the Lighthouse.
It takes me over 4 minutes to peg the BD down, insert the poles and get inside. Just under 6 all up to do the Velcro tabs up as well.
Note the longer footprint,40 cm /16" peg to peg, however looks shorter than the other hoop tents (Akto/Vela/laser) that I have played with.
I set up the Akto in 3 minutes but takes longer for the other two. The Scarp is less fussy than the above, IE less fiddly to get it square.
For shifting winds I would use the trekking poles at the end and just a guyout on the main pole. I doubt that the two extra poles make much difference with wind, but can see how they should with snow.
Franco

Franco,
It's not more tents you need (gasp), it's a bigger backyard.
Just kidding! Of course you need more tents.
If I didn't already have a BS Evolution 2P, including standard and porch flys, I would definetly be ordering a new Scarp2 (3 Season inner body) from Henry. I just might anyhow.
It is such a pleasure dealing with someone who has, not only a supurb product line, but also, offers such a high quality of service.
You are correct Dennis. I can squeeze three tents but it is a bit tight.
Franco
Slept in it last night. We had a bit of rain and a lot of drizzle. The inside of the fly at the top was wet but no drips on the fabric. I purposely closed the tent up fully to promote condensation. The temp was 23c at 9:30PM (73f) 21c just after 1 AM (70f) and 20c (68f) at 5:30 AM. 78% humidity somewhere in Melbourne. About 1c less outside the tent.
Franco

Franco,
What's the Green Monster?
That is the first version of the Luxe X Rocket. Did some work on it and became the present version.
Not my cup of tea but for the ones that like the poncho/tent thing this is an in between that and a double wall tent.
See the mods at
http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog-topic-gallery-view1.asp?id=821&selfpath=/12/125
Franco
Become a member to post in the forums.

