Topic

Grand Canyon Rim-2-Rim-2-Rim

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Grand Canyon Rim-2-Rim-2-Rim

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Grand Canyon Rim-2-Rim-2-Rim

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

span the grandest Big Ditch in the world

I hate to be the first to post here, because I found this article very informative, but just one minor observation: the Grand Canyon in the United States is not the longest or deepest canyon (or gorge) in the world, it is the Yarlung Zangbo Grand Canyon, in Tibet.

Really doesn't make a difference for anyone attempting to walk the canyon, but just maybe it will make walking it a bit easier knowing it is not the biggest!

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i also thought copper canyon of mexico was larger. regardless, now he has to hike all three…
    :)

*however the word grand has many meanings, large only being one.

Praveen M
    BPL Member

@prav66

Locale: By the foothills of the Colorado Rockies

Colca Canyon in Peru is also larger, grander physically & in appearance.

At some point we have to get over some of the false marketing propping up our own backcountry. The world is much bigger than that. Being the biggest/grandest/baddest is totally unneccessary for an obvious national treasure.

The R2R2R sounds truly insane. I've read blogs of elite runners doing it within a day's window and the suffering it entails. Imagine what the rangers would think if you announced your plans on attempting it :)

Props to Skurka, I'll be curious to hear how the Canyon experience once more will feel at the end of his current epic hike.

I've found it took me about 3 days to really get a sense of time and scale in the canyon and let it all settle in a meaningful way.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

But it's the grandest in appearance I bet. Copper Canyon you can't even go see unless a guide takes you?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

"In early April…"

Typo? It is still march, unless he's talking about last year. Explanation?

Jeff Sharp

@tsjeffery

Locale: Blue Ridge

Hey Andy, which backpack did you carry on this adventure?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I am going to guess it is one of the Nathan vests that he carried during the Leadville 100.

http://www.andrewskurka.com/RACE/LT100-08/photos.php

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Jeff –

Andy is on the Hayduke Trail at the moment.

Sharon Moore
    BPL Member

@justslm

The trip is worth doing at a walk, too! I did a North Rim to South Rim backpack last June over 4 days. One advantage of going during such a hot time of year was the ability to travel with minimal gear. No sleeping bag, and I could have skipped the tent body except I wanted to keep the scorpions off me at night. Going as light as I did made it possible to thoroughly enjoy the trip where many of my group suffered blown knees, blisters, and black toe because they carried too much stuff. I got started with lightweight backpacking after Andy spoke to my hiking club at Honda during his C2C tour ( I was the one on crutches). So thank you , Andy, for getting me started on BPL, and making this "life list" trip possible!

vireoes S
    BPL Member

@vireoes

Locale: Northern Utah

Since the subject of Colca Canyon just came up. I just got back from a trip there and want to post this photo. Colca is not the deepest canyon in Peru that honor falls to the nearby Cotahuasi Canyon, which I unfortunately didn't get to visit on this trip.

MYOG Poncho at Colca Canyon, Peru

I complete Roger's MYOG poncho specifically for this trip, even we were only trekking for a couple of days. It got good use across Peru as we were often jumping off buses in the pouring rain and hoofing it several blocks up to the hotel. I am looking forward to giving it a thorough testing this spring.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Liz

Good to hear! Lovely photo too.

Cheers

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Nice article by Skurka. I've done a Double Crossing a few times and would agree, it's a fantastic experience. A few things I'd add:

-Going down the South Kaibab is really rough on the legs, moreso than either the North Kaibab or the Bright Angel. Down the BA and up the NK at the end is a nice way to go.

-Agree 100% on the trekking pole advice, though I'm pretty sure that Krupicka, Skaggs, and McKay power hike a bunch of the ascents.

-The Phantom Ranch store is open during lunch and dinner hours during the season and is a great place to get some chips and a Tecate before busting out the last ascent.

-DO it! it's fun!

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

BPL's timing in publishing this article is impeccable: I'm sitting at a computer on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and am planning to go RRR again tomorrow, which might be tough since this morning I finished my 800-mile trek from Arches and my legs will not be fresh.

Wish BPL had published those water charts though — that's critical info if you are running. BPL – Can those get posted? Let me know if you need me to resend them.

Re comments about superlatives used to describe the GC, you will notice that I did not say the "biggest" Big Ditch in the world — I just said the "grandest," which I understand that it is despite not having been to the others that are even bigger/deeper/wider, including the Snake River Canyon here in the US.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Finished in 8 hours 2 minutes. Smokin' fast…

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Great Job Andy.

Madeleine Landis
    BPL Member

@yurtie

Locale: Central Oregon

Don't you carry anything so you can be self sufficient in case of an accident or even blisters or cuts?

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I had a one pound slab of protein-rich honey ham

You're an animal!

Good job on the run. Wow!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Andy,
    Very impressive!
    Congrats on the Hayduke and The Run…

Jason Ham
    BPL Member

@jasonham

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I wish I had seen this before my own run. Such detail in one place would have been a great resource.

I ran this on the 2007 winter solstice. My photos are here:

Grand Canyon Run Dec 2007

We ran from Bright Angel because we could run straight from the hotel without hassle (and more importantly return up the Bright Angel and be equally close to our room.)

It snowed about 6 inches on the South Rim the night before our run, so we got first tracks down the trail. Actually a coyote got first tracks, ours were merely the first human tracks. Going up the North Kaibab entailed post-holing in about a foot of snow.

We used Kahtoola microspikes to enable full running on the way down, but never used them after that.

The multiple water sources (natural and man-enhanced) make this whole thing possible with very little water on the back. We never carried more than two liters.

We didn't see anyone else except at Phantom Ranch and on the last part of Bright Angel on the way back. I guess that's the advantage to doing this on a snowy day.

It was fun…I highly recommend this endeavor.

Sonja Wieck

@gosonja

Locale: The Front Range

Andrew, I am planning a double crossing for April 20th, what was the water situation on the NK, if you don't mind. Was the spigot on at the house??

Thanks!

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

You'll find water at the Colorado River (in several locations, near the BA CG, Phantom Ranch, etc.), all along North Kaibab Creek, at the ranger cottage, and perhaps from a spring/waterfall that's about 3.5 miles below the North Rim, near the top of the Redwall. Lots of water this time of year. Not sure when the spigot at Cottonwood CG gets turned on — they'll know that info at the BIC.

Sonja Wieck

@gosonja

Locale: The Front Range

Thanks Andrew! I called the office and they said May 15th on the Cottonwood Campground faucet. I just wondered if the ranger house spigot happened to be on when you were there a few days ago.

I'm getting really excited for the trip and enjoyed reading your blog. What an awesome adventure you have recently completed!!

julia green

@julia86

Actually the deepest canyon is the Colca Canyon-Arequipa-Peru, I was there last year in my Peru vacation (www.totallyperu.com), and I must say it was a great experience, I loved it!
    When you are there you can see clearly that it is the deepest canyon in the world and the people who live there are so proud of their Canyon that they even made a song that I can't remember right now…

try to upload a photo of when I was there but I'm not very good with this and my daughter isn't around here, I hope I have cleared some of your doubts!

best,

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools