Topic

UL Bivy Avail. Through REI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion UL Bivy Avail. Through REI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brian Sims

@mtnfiend

Locale: Pasadena, CA

I am in search of an UL bivy for road bike touring. My buddy has a Montbell DryTech bivy at 6.3 ounces, which he quite likes.

Unfortunately one cannot purchase or special order Montbell products from REI. I want to use my REI dividend to get a bivy if possible.

Is there a bivy remotely close in weight to the Montbell product made by a company sold through REI? The product doesn't necessarily need to be a regularly stocked item from REI.

I found the Sierra Designs Baffin Bivy, which looks nice, but is double the weight at 17oz.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Only ones I know about are the one you mentioned, the TiGoat, and the Equinox bivy. Doubt if REI has any of them. They're just not that into that.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

The oware bivies are affordable and offer full protection, unlike the equinox (no netting) and the montbell (not technically a bivy)……REI won't sell them though.

I'd say use your dividend for something else, unless you have a synthetic bag, in which case you could get away with an adventure medical kits heatsheets bivy. It will condensate like crazy though, but is lighter than all the above options.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brian,
    If you want a decent bivy in the 6-8 oz range, you're probably going to have to bite the bullet price-wise and go with a cottage industry product-MLD, BMW, Oware, etc. REI has an extensive selection of quality bivy's, including an Event model by integral Designs that weighs ~ 18.5 oz at $210, a Marmot Alpinist at 15 oz, $149, and an MSR Micronight at 19 oz and $129. All the rest of their offerings are much heavier.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Best bang for buck is equinox bivy..hands down.

Steve Parr
    BPL Member

@srparr

Locale: SE Michigan

I believe that you can apply to REI for a cash payout of your dividend (after a certain date). This would let you buy the bivy you want and then get "reimbursed" from your dividend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools