Topic

PowerStretch Zip-T vs. DriClime Windshirt

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 10:54 am

I'm looking for a good second layer for fall hiking in the Washington Cascades (on my PCT thru-hike, assuming I make it that far). I have a DriClime windshirt, which I like a lot, but I'm wondering if it's warm enough for potentially hiking in wet weather and 30-40 degree temps. I've heard a lot of good things about Power Stretch Zip-T's, but I've never worn one. Is there any advantage to DriClime over Power Stretch in that kind of weather?

If it matters, I'll probably be wearing a polyester t-shirt as my base layer.

Jim MacDiarmid BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 11:13 am

I think active you'll be plenty toasty in the driclime. I've worn that riding my bike to work in SF and it's held off misty drizzles in 45 degree temps for those 15 minutes fairly well. I think that would be the main difference. I know my power stretch material gloves are going to wet out fairly quickly in the rain. They're a little better against light snow, but any liquid precip is going to get them wet. The DWR-coated nylon of the driclime certainly isn't waterproof, but will hold up better in the short term. Powerstretch will maintain warmth when wet, but I believe the driclime material will as well. I think the driclime material is decently warm by itself, but the jacket does derive a lot of its warmth from its windproofness. So it may not be as useful a layer when inactive as the power stretch. Power stretch will breathe better.

Adrian B BPL Member
PostedMar 10, 2009 at 1:21 am

Well.. if it's wet and near freezing I'd be uncomfortable in just a driclime (a windshirt plus very thin fleece right?) and a thin poly t shirt.

I used to have a Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch Zip T, they are very warm and light as fleece tops go. A good top to be able to throw on when temps drop in the wet, and nice to wear in the evening. The slightly higher elastane content (12% I think, versus 8% for Cap 4 and 2% for R1 which are both power dry) means they're bit slower to dry than some other fleece, but they never 'feel' wet because the fabric is very good at wicking moisture to the surface and keeping the nice fluffy inner surface dry. Fabric isn't particularly hard wearing (ironically), mine started piling on the elbows fairly quick.

Not that I've used one, but the AFAIK the Driclime is wind/shower proof, Powerstretch is not. I'd consider the two tops complementary rather than as alternatives.

PostedMar 10, 2009 at 8:13 am

You lose the windproofness with the Powerstretch. If it's going to be windy, it will blow right through your powerstretch. I have used a Driclime windshirt with baselayer underneath easily to 30. Of course I have to throw something on top when I stop. Reapply some DWR to the Driclime and I think you'd be fine in a light rain. Any more than that you'd need your shell, which you'd need anyway with the powerstretch as it will definitely wet out.

Jim MacDiarmid BPL Member
PostedMar 10, 2009 at 9:17 am

Building off Adrian and Natasha, if it is going to be wet enough that you will need a shell anyways, you're better off with the power stretch as it will be lighter in combination with the shell, and will breath better than the driclime when the shell isn't needed. I love my driclime, but I find myself using it in only 'around town' situations anymore, as I've found that a breathable wool or poly baselayer in combo with a wind/rain shell is simply more flexible to changing with conditions. My R1 Hoody is 11 oz, my houdini 3.75 for 14.75. That will take me down to 25 easy in dry conditions. My driclime is 12.25. On top of that both the hoody and houdini have hoods, and I have a fastly more flexible system for 2.5 oz. But if you already have to driclime, vs spending money on the power stretch and a wind shell, the driclime is certainly no slouch. Despite its limited use, I still can't bring myself to get rid of mine.

PostedMar 10, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. I think I'll probably pick up the PowerStretch shirt. The combination of base layer + PowerStretch + my Houdini is a lot more flexible than base layer + DriClime, even if the weight is slightly higher for the first combination. I just wish that someone made a 9-oz. PowerStretch jacket…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...