Topic

The official Dave T. vs. Klas Eklof SHR photo thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports The official Dave T. vs. Klas Eklof SHR photo thread

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Locale: Northern California

beautiful morning.

blue lake pass?

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

My camera died around 1000 island lake, no pictures for me north of there. Planning to go back this summer and run from Red's to Twin Lakes, in order to finish the photo journal.

Before I did the route, I was suspicious of the section from Duck Lake north to Red's. On the map, there doesn't appear to be any benefit to wondering along the Mammoth Crest. The Muir Trail and the high route are so close, and parallel, through this section. I was way wrong…

m1

m2

m3

m4

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Allright Dave T.
    Thank you for starting this great thread.

I loved your pictures.
    See you in the mountains…

farewell

– Klas

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

Great thread/pix guys. A lot of fun for the rest of us as well!

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

I admit that I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.
    First clue is that there is no snow, which is rare for your trip. This means the slope is south facing. I can't recall anywhere that the SHR descends such a steep southern slope. I looked at all the maps and couldn't really find one either. Also, there is a pass below. I can't recall where the SHR descends down to a pass like that. Another clue, the rock color is dark. Minerets come to mind. And the distant view in the upper right means you are pretty high. Lastly, where is the pack? I opened Secor (pg. 394, 3rd Ed), to look at some aerials, and when I saw the shot, I knew right away: you are climbing down from Banner towards the Banner/Ritter Saddle.

I don't have a shot from that spot, but Google Earth can make one:
    banner

That was fun. How was the cilmb?

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Without my own photo, I'm just guessing, but I think that shot is looking southeast across Virginia Canyon, as you are approaching Soldier Lake. The distant pass is Sky Pilot, the peak to it's right is Shepherd Crest.

I climbed Sherperd Crest in '06, so here is looking back at you from that trip:

sc

sc2

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

That climb up Shepherd reminds me that I do have some pictures of the SHR in that vicinity, although I was not doing the route at the time.

Got this location?

sky

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

This is great you guys….keep it going!

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools