Topic

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 vs. TT-Cloudburst

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Luke Moffat BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 9:13 am

I am currently possibly doing away with my big agnes SL2 in favor of the lighter and more wind worthy Cloudburst 2.

The main purpose of this tent is thru-hiking and packrafting. So fast setup time is a must. The Seedhouse excels in this area, I just do not have any experience with the cloudburst. Does both the inner netting and the fly of the cloudburst setup at the same time? That would be a nice advantage over the seedhouse on rainy evenings when setting up camp for the night.

I like the freestanding aspect of teh seedhouse as sometimes it can be a little difficult to setup a non-free standing tent on a gravel bar in certain situations.

Its hard to telll in the TT pics, but does the cloudburst have a 2nd smaller pole at the foot of the tent?

Do you think the cloudburst is really that much better in the wind? Its stated as a 3+ season tent which really appeals to me.

I'm sure as you guys answer these Qs it will only bring up more. :)

Thanks for any info.

Zack Karas BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 9:37 am

I used the original Cloudburst 2 on my CT and CDT thru-hikes–it is a great shelter. It is single wall, so the mesh simply connects the silnylon fly to the floor. And yes, there is a second pole at the foot end of the shelter. The Cloudburst is fair in the wind and will deform a bit in side winds, but by being able to lower the side flaps it does cut down what enters the shelter. If pitched properly with the foot facing into the wind, then you'll have no problems.
My only gripe is that sometimes the larger pole can be a real bear to get in both grommets–this may be due to the silnylon shrinking as humidity drops?
I'm 5'10" and can only barely sit up near the head of the shelter–I have to lower my head just a bit. My girlfriend in 5'4" and has no problems at all.

Jim MacDiarmid BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 10:15 am

I know you asked about the Cloudburst, but I actually just got a TT Rainbow to replace my SL2. It's freestanding (if you really want freestanding) with trekking poles, or you can stake out the corners. I haven't had a chance to use the TT in the field yet, but cosmetically, it looks almost identical to the Seedhouse. Just a bit longer and a bit a narrower for 2lbs weight savings. I've set it up once in my apt so far. Once I get it down, I bet I can set it up faster than the SL2(which I like a lot but is heavier than it seems it should be) The instructions say 2-3 minutes for set up and I find that accurate. Just slide in the arch pole (rather than having to clip in on like the SL2.) Then attach the trekking poles or stake out the corners + beak and you're done. I think when I was researching tarptents, I came across a discussion of the windworthiness of the Rainbow on these forums, but I'm not sure where.

Luke Moffat BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 10:31 am

So is the mesh already connected to the silnylon fly or do you have to connect that after you get the fly setup? So if I understand correction just slide the poles in the sleeves, stake outand your are done, no need to attach the mesh to the fly its already done for you?

PostedMar 9, 2009 at 10:35 am

If you haven't yet bought the Cloudburst and decide that you want one, I have a brand new, never used (never even set up outside) Cloudburst 2 with footprint. I have had it seam-sealed also, so it's ready to go.

Jim MacDiarmid BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 10:48 am

Yes, the mesh is already attached, It is a single wall tent. No mesh on the inner walls. I can measure when I get home, but I believe there's about 5 inches of mesh between the floor and the sides of the tent, plus the mesh door and top vent. The floor can be clipped up to make it bathtub style in the rain, or left down for extra ventilation. I have the pre-08 model, but from the photos on the website, the new models have added extra tie-outs for wind stability. The Rainbow is also listed as 3+ seasons.

Luke Moffat BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 10:51 am

Dennis,

I am VERY interested in your tent. Why are you selling it? How much??

Thanks

Luke Moffat BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 10:55 am

James,

Thanks for the info, that is what I was wondering. So there are additonal guy out points now. I see that TT only offer 3 stakes with a purchase of their tent, which led me to believe that ther were only 3 places to stake down, the two in front and one in back.

PostedMar 9, 2009 at 11:01 am

Luke,

I'm selling it because I have a disease…"must-have-the-newest-itis". I bought it in December, had it seam-sealed, and now I think I'd rather have the new Scarp 2 (I don't mind the extra weight). I posted my Cloudburst for sale a week or two ago for $250 shipped and haven't had any bites yet (I'm hoping to find someone who is ready to buy new and wants to save $35-40). I'm a little flexible on the price, but I don't want to take a bath on a tent that has never even seen the daylight. I sent an email to TT this morning to see if they will take it back even though it's been seam-sealed, no response yet.

Here's the original posting:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18972&skip_to_post=147299#147299

Let me know if you're interested…

PostedMar 9, 2009 at 11:02 am

Luke,

There are 2 extra guyouts (one on each side), but they only provide the three main stakes.

Dennis

Luke Moffat BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 11:42 am

Dennis,

I am infected with the same disease. The Scarp 2 looks very nice, but I already have my 4 season tent in a Nallo GT 3 which isn't exaclty light weight but it is bombproof. So this cloudburst would be for summer use or where I am setting it up and taking down everyday, vs. the Nallo which I use as a base camp type of setup and late fall & winter treks.

I sent ya a PM Dennis.

James, thanks again for all the help.

Barry P BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 1:34 pm

“So fast setup time is a must.”

I own or owned a Virga, GG Squall Classic, Cloudburst (1), Rainshadow, and Double Rainbow. Out of all of them, the Cloudburst took the longest to setup— maybe twice as long as the others. I even cut ¾” off the long pole and it was still tight which delays setup a little bit. It was also tricky getting the biggest pole out without the pole segments separating. YMMV.

Wife made me sell the Cloudburst :(.

-Barry

edit: Oops, I miss my Cloudburst (not DR).

Luke Moffat BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Barry, thanks for the heads up. Do you think it would atleast be equivalent to the BA Seedhouse due to the face that you have to erect the fly and tent separately as opposed to the single wall design of the TTs?

Barry P BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 2:39 pm

“Do you think it would atleast be equivalent to the BA Seedhouse due to the face that you have to erect the fly and tent separately as opposed to the single wall design of the TTs?”

I’ve never set up an SL2. So I’m not familiar with the pole and hub system. That’s a tough call.
I have a Coleman 2-man dome tent, Aluminum poles, w/ fly. It takes me about the same time to set up the dome tent (w/ fly and stake it down) as it does the Cloudburst; this is in the 5-7 minute range.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Loading...