Topic

golite vo24 vs ion

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Jeff Cadorin BPL Member
PostedMar 8, 2009 at 11:55 am

I am having a tough time nailing down my weekend summer pack. The vo24 seems like it would be the perfect pack. I like the outside pockets, hipbelt and front pocket with bungee. The small waterbottle pockets I feel wont be an issue for my uses. One would carry my caldera cone using the compression strap to help hold it in. The other would be unused most of the time(sure I would find a use for it) but would be perfect to hold my fishing pole with one slight modification of sewing on an upper strap to keep it secure(also hold trekking poles when not in use). My concerns are the fact that I dont know if the plastic caldera cone case will fit and stay in the water pocket. The pack is also a little thin at the top volume wise and with the 2l platy inside dont know if I would have enough room for gear. I am thinking that carrying my tarp in the front pocket with the platy on top using the bungees to hold it in could be an option. It is heavy compared to the ion but from reviews sounds like you gain more comfort and the mesh backing might be nice here in the humid south summers.

The ion is very simple and with some modifications could almost be my perfect pack. Reading threads lately about the modifications being done have added this pack to my list. If I added a front pocket and bungee system to match what the vo24 has it would definitely solve alot of storage issues. I also like the idea of a pocket under the lid for your valuables. I am ok with tackling these mods and would ultimately have more volume in the pack then the vo24.

The biggest problem is that neither of these packs are available locally so I can not try either on to see what I like. Price really isnt a big deal because last years vo24 can be picked up for less then $60. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedMar 8, 2009 at 3:29 pm

The fact that you are wanting to add both bungee cord and pocket(s) to the Ion is probably a good indication that a "clean and simple pack" is not really a good, practical fit for your needs.

If you haven't already, maybe look at some of the smaller packs offered by MLD or Zpacks…

PostedMar 8, 2009 at 4:21 pm

I have both, and the vo24 is really heavy for its size. If you don't to go without pockets and bungee, the ion isn't worth the weight savings, unless you're good at sewing. I've seen some awesome mods. I like the roll closure mod i've seen on here.

A lot of the time instead of using my ion, I just cinch my jam2 down and it holds small loads fine.

You might want to look into something like a ULA amp. sweet pack that seems to fit your needs.

jim bailey BPL Member
PostedMar 8, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Jeff,
Ben and Ryan offer great advice, might want to look into other packs. Recently picked up a VO24 pack for trail running/day hiking with a hyper dog and works great. As far as an overnight pack it can be done but probably not the best pack for summer overnight trips due to the way it carries the weight.

Great pack for adventure races if carrying just a small, compacted down bag, small torso pad and essential survival/navigational gear. A few more cubic inches of volume might be worth looking into.

Good luck
Jim

Jeff Cadorin BPL Member
PostedMar 8, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Ben. I have looked at both the zpacks and mld. Because of my location and the fact that I like to break from the trail, silicon nylon packs in my opinion are to light of material for my needs. otherwise I really do like the zilch. maybe if it was offered in a dynema material I would be interested. the mld packs are just to pricey for my budget right now otherwise the prophet seems like it would fit the bill, maybe a little to much volume though.

Ryan. I have looked at the jam2 but it is very big for what I want. it also doesnt have the back bungee system for compression and wet gear storage. I am giving it more thought though. The ula amp would be a great pack if it was still available for purchase on the site.

Jim. an adventure race kit is about all i am going to carry. it is also something i would like to pursue in the future as I am getting in shape. so the pack might hold dual purpose in the future.

Anyone have a vo24 gear list for overnighters they would like to share? give a sense of what can be carried with this pack. I have been a platy guy for a long time but maybe its time to rethink that strategy.

Right now I am leaning towards pulling the trigger on a vo24 and trying it on, loading it with gear and see if I like it. worst case it costs me return postage and I can move on…

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedMar 8, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Jeff:

Given what you wrote, if I were you, I would do exactly as you wrote in your last paragraph. If it works out, then you've got a fantastic pack. And if not, well, it's just the cost of postage — and well worth a try. Best of luck.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...