Topic

Fenix LD01 – Noise?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fenix LD01 – Noise?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

I just picked up an LD01. I've noticed that in the two lower ouptut modes that there is a very high pitched whine – sorta like the sound a TV makes when it's on. It's slight but quite noticeable. Anyone else experience this?

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Could it be the PWM? I have not heard of a sound, but some say the LD01 PWM produces visible flicker in the mid and low output settings. LD01 PWM = 1600 Hz.

LiteFLux LF2X PWM is 7800 Hz, and reportedly does not produce visible flicker. Given what you say, I wonder whether it produces a whine, though?

–MV

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I've never heard it and just turned on my LD01 the listen closely… nothing in any mode.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

Just so you know, if it's a high-pitched TV noise, most people over about 35 or so can't hear it. Just like the mosquito ringers kids were using that were 18 khz tones so that the teachers wouldn't hear their phones. I'm 32 and can hear them fine, but many adults cannot.

My point – you may not get an accurate sampling of whether or not other peoples lights emit the noise. :)

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

Though I don't remember where, I distinctly remember reading a review of one of the Fenix lights that mentioned this. So it's not in your head, and it must not be unique to your unit.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Google for: Fenix LD01 noise

Here is one of the hits

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2866967

"I noticed some people mentioning the PWM or whatever circuitry making a noise. Mine does too. "

I did not get any hits when I googled for: LiteFlux LF2X noise

I came across mention of noise for other LiteFlux lights so perhaps the LF2X also has noise/whine

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Thank you to all for the responses. I was a little worried I had purchased a faulty unit. It's good to know that it's normal and I'm not imagining things! Kinda wish it didn't make a noise, but it's not a deal-breaker by any means. This thing is bright!

Dan: i had no idea kids were doing that – its both interesting and clever.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

IF the Fenix has a switched mode power supply inside for the regulation, then what you are hearing is probably coming from the ferrite inductor. It is called magneto-striction, and is well known. It does suggest that the inductor is being driven a little hard …

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools