Topic

Fenix LD01 – Noise?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedMar 7, 2009 at 5:36 pm

I just picked up an LD01. I've noticed that in the two lower ouptut modes that there is a very high pitched whine – sorta like the sound a TV makes when it's on. It's slight but quite noticeable. Anyone else experience this?

Robert Blean BPL Member
PostedMar 7, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Could it be the PWM? I have not heard of a sound, but some say the LD01 PWM produces visible flicker in the mid and low output settings. LD01 PWM = 1600 Hz.

LiteFLux LF2X PWM is 7800 Hz, and reportedly does not produce visible flicker. Given what you say, I wonder whether it produces a whine, though?

–MV

PostedMar 8, 2009 at 5:59 am

I've never heard it and just turned on my LD01 the listen closely… nothing in any mode.

PostedMar 8, 2009 at 6:52 am

Just so you know, if it's a high-pitched TV noise, most people over about 35 or so can't hear it. Just like the mosquito ringers kids were using that were 18 khz tones so that the teachers wouldn't hear their phones. I'm 32 and can hear them fine, but many adults cannot.

My point – you may not get an accurate sampling of whether or not other peoples lights emit the noise. :)

Hiker 816 BPL Member
PostedMar 8, 2009 at 10:00 am

Though I don't remember where, I distinctly remember reading a review of one of the Fenix lights that mentioned this. So it's not in your head, and it must not be unique to your unit.

Robert Blean BPL Member
PostedMar 8, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Google for: Fenix LD01 noise

Here is one of the hits

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2866967

"I noticed some people mentioning the PWM or whatever circuitry making a noise. Mine does too. "

I did not get any hits when I googled for: LiteFlux LF2X noise

I came across mention of noise for other LiteFlux lights so perhaps the LF2X also has noise/whine

PostedMar 12, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Thank you to all for the responses. I was a little worried I had purchased a faulty unit. It's good to know that it's normal and I'm not imagining things! Kinda wish it didn't make a noise, but it's not a deal-breaker by any means. This thing is bright!

Dan: i had no idea kids were doing that – its both interesting and clever.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedMar 12, 2009 at 4:35 pm

IF the Fenix has a switched mode power supply inside for the regulation, then what you are hearing is probably coming from the ferrite inductor. It is called magneto-striction, and is well known. It does suggest that the inductor is being driven a little hard …

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...