I've been looking at the Montbell super stretch #3 down bag as a possilbe summer bag.
From what I"ve here in the forums, Montbells sound pretty good, a little heavier than Western Mountaineering but offereing a better ounces to dollars spent ratio for a comaparable bag. However, the max height for a reg bag is 5'10" vs 6' for WM. I'm exactly 5'10, if not slightly taller.
Any 5'10" Montbell bag users out there? Would I be cutting it too close with a regular bag? If I have to go up to long, then oz/$ ratio becomes close enough I'd default to WM for the lower weight and quality.
Topic
Montbell Sleeping Bag Height Question
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
I let a buddy of mine try out my #2. Mine is a long. He's 5'10" and after trying mine he ordered a regular. He sent it back and got the long. There is the drawstring in the bottom of the bag that shortens it up a little bit.
When you are right at the borderline, there will be some subjectivity here.
I'm 5'9" and there's plenty of space for me lengthwise. In my view, the bag will certainly accommodate one more inch — particularly if you are a side sleeper and you tend to bend your legs a tad anyway. OTOH, if you sleep "arrow straight", then maybe your toes will touch the bottom of the bag a bit.
One other thing to consider: many tents are sized for people up to 6'. If you go for the long, make sure your tent is long enough (taking into account the inward curvature of the walls) to accommodate the bag — with space at both ends to allow the bag to loft fully without touching any part of the tent walls.
Here's what I would do: contact the seller — buy BOTH regular and long so you can try them out but ask them to charge you shipping for just one. Your only cost then will be the return shipping — which is very little money to ensure that you get the right bag. While I'd hate to be stuck with a bag that's too short, I also wouldn't want to fuss with an unnecessarily longer and heavier bag either.
Hope this helps.
I would probably go for the Long version as these bags have a cinch cord at the bottom that can effectively shorten the bag. I have a Long and am 6'1" and don't have a ton of room lengthwise to spare.
One other thing. The Long bag will have a higher fill weight such that shortening the long would theoretically be warmer than using the regular length even if you fit in the regular length.
Not necessarily, David.
The higher fill is to account for the extra length and wider girth of the Long. As well, some of that higher fill will be relatively "scrunched up" at the foot end — essentially useless — for shorter people.
Thus, the Long is unlikely to feel warmer — and might even feel colder for a bean pole type of a guy.
Yes – I see what you are saying except that the extra down fill is spread throughout the bag. Anyway you slice and dice it, the Long will have more down. If you have to 'scrunch up' the bottom by 2-4", you will still have more down in the upper reaches and hood than with the regular size – specific to the MB UL SS bag as both regular and long are exactly the same variable width.
You are right that there may be an issue with warming up a larger space in a long v.s. a regular with a bag line that increases the girth as a fixed measurement with their long bag. I would wager this is not the case with the superstretch MB bags.
I'm 5'10" on days when my hair is extra fluffy. I have 3 Montbell SS bags, all regular size and I fit fine in them.
Another 5'10" Montbell sleeping bag owner here. The #2 super stretch down bag I bought last year fits me just fine–I too wondered if I was undersizing when I got it, but it wasn't an issue. It's been a few months since I've been in it, but I don't remember having any extra room either. IMO, the perfect fit.
I have the ulss #2 in long, fits perfectly for me, 6' even. My .02 is that if you can order both at one time and ship the one back for shipping charge return only, that is way to go. Then you can futz with them to figure out best fit. I took out the shortner string in mine, because it would be too short using it, but can tie the hang loops together if it is really cold to bunch the down together at the foot. Works well for me. Depends if you will want to put stuff in your bag to keep warm. Longer may be better, and the shortner may work perfect for you in the long bag. Love the bag.
I'm exactly 5'10" and i ordered a MB SS #3 Long.
It should be arriving at the end of the week so i'll let you know then how it fits. 8)
Become a member to post in the forums.

