Topic

New to Down Sleeping Bags

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
PostedMar 5, 2009 at 7:54 pm

OK – so I have my new Montbell UL SS #2 and I am in sleeping bag bliss. This is the 1st mummy bag that I actually feel comfortable in and won't be cramped. But this is my 1st down bag and I have read everything I can find about storage and preserving the loft when not in use, but what about when it is packed.

Can the bag be compressed too much? My worry is that I would ruin the bag by compressing it to the point where it won't fluff up to full loft when it is uncompressed. How long can I leave it compressed before the loft is damaged?

I haven't even taken this thing out to the back yard and I already love it so much I want to make sure I have it for a long time.

Thanks,

Mike

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedMar 5, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Michael:

Properly cared for, you can expect quality down bags to last a decade or more — much longer than any synthetic bags that are similarly well cared for!

When packing, you can either pack your sleeping bag directly into your pack — or stuff it inside the MontBell-supplied stuff sack. Resist any temptation to switch to an even smaller stuff sack "to save pack space".

Your bag will be fine when stuffed for a day or three — just as long as you don't store it long term inside the small stuff sack. Having said that, whenever I am at camp or staying in a hotel right before or right after a hike — I do like to unpack the bag and let it air out.

As for storage in-between use — it's perfectly fine to store your bag inside the MontBell-supplied large cotton bag, or laid out flat, or hung vertically. The only cardinal rules are to store your sleeping bag:

1. unstuffed
2. clean and dry
3. away from sunlight and heat source

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Loading...