Topic

Granite Gear Vapor Flash

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Nick Garcia BPL Member
PostedMar 5, 2009 at 5:30 pm

I noticed this pack in the Backpacker Gear Guide, 3,600cu and weighs 3lbs 1oz, is this a new pack, I did not see it on the GG website, does it replace a pack or is it new thanks any feedback

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Pic is from a retailer's website.

Vapor Flash

I'm assuming it has the Vapor suspension so it would be like a Vapor Trail with a lid rather than a roll top. So, think Nimbus Meridian but with the Vapor suspension rather than the beefier Nimbus "Tepex" frame/suspension. That would account for the 8 oz. weight difference.

Both suspensions are quite comfortable, though I find the Vapor is superior in my usage (which doesn't push the weight limits on the Vapor suspension. The Tepex is intended for heavier loads.

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Go on the GG website and scroll to the bottom. Under Downloads (click the link) you will see two seaprate downloads – one for a manual to their packs and the other for the 2009 catalogue. Download the catalogue and the full range of new packs are there.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Edit – it is not a replacement for the Vapor Trail nor the Vapor Meridian.

Tom Caldwell BPL Member
PostedMar 5, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I hadn't seen it before. Looks like a heavier Vapor Trail to me. I'll keep dreaming that they put a big mesh pocket on the Vapor Trail, and design a lighter hipbelt with built in hipbelt pockets, and put some aerated material in the backpad. One thing I can say about my Vapor Trail, is that it doesn't even look broken in, no holes and no wear on the straps at all, and I've used it more than 10 days.

Slo Hiker BPL Member
PostedMar 6, 2009 at 6:13 am

My understanding is that it's a the same as the Meridian Vapor, constructed of slightly heavier fabrics – hence the same overall specs but just a few ounces heavier and $20 cheaper.

PostedMar 6, 2009 at 8:26 am

that's my understanding as well. also the compression straps run under the side pockets as opposed to over them, which was a complaint on the UL line of packs.

PostedMar 14, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Interesting. It still seems far too heavy for what it is. I will have to see one in person I guess. If I wanted a climbing pack I would be looking at the Osprey Variant series with the multiple external attachments, removable bivy pad and components for a similar weight with a more aggressive harness.

PostedMar 14, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Does anyone know if this is strictly a top loader or a panel loader like the vapor meridian? I'm interested, but already have a vapor trail, so if it's top only it wouldn't be worth it just for a lid and some heavier fabrics.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...