Topic

Firelite fuel tabs??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Firelite fuel tabs??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

Are the Firelite fuel tabs gone for good?
    I liked the 10g ones… they were perfect.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Chris, we will be carrying the 14g Esbit fuel tabs in the BPL store.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

I'll assume that means "yes".

Not to be argumentative, but my children often answer a query by replying to the question they *wish* I had asked. As you can imagine, that goes over equally as well.

I guess the marketing gurus have their reasons, but I don't see why BPL would bother to stock mainstream items that are commonly available pretty much anywhere.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Sorry, Chris – I didn't mean to be cryptic. If we are able to source the 10g tabs again I assure you we will carry them. At this time however we are only carrying the 'common' 14g tabs.

Mark Allen

@mallen943

Hi Sam,

I think what Chris was asking was if the Firelite tabs will ever be available again. Obviously, Esbit tabs can be purchased off this site from other distributors. BPL stated that Firelite tabs burned hotter than Esbit. Esbit tabs are Hexamine. My impression – based upon the BPL statement – was that Firelite was possibly Trioxane.

Thanx.
    mark

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

I had to look into this issue to see why they were not available as they left our shelves before I was involved in the Gear Shop here at BPL.

The Firelite fuel tablets did have some value over Esbit initially, however their shelf life (whether it was due to the chemical itself of the packaging is unclear) was poor. The tablets took on moisture from the air and we found this to be substandard performance.

Therefore we have switched over to selling Esbit tabs solely. We are, however, constantly on the lookout for new products to introduce to the community – solid fuel tabs included.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I too would like to see 10g tabs offered again.

However, I prefer the Esbit recipe over Firelite. The Firelite appears to have a much higher wax content, which leaves a residue. Not so much with Esbit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools