Topic

Clearview Pad Problems

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
PostedMar 5, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Just got a new Big Agnes Clearview Pad….and it's leaking around the valve.

I was afraid of this problem after others reported it….I'm going to try to repair it before shipping it back for a new one, but makes me leery about relying on it as I'm a very finnicky sleeper and couldn't do without a pad in the field.

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Nathan –
It's leaking around the threads in the plastic body?
Or where the valve block edge punctured the tube?

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 4:39 pm

It's leaking where the valve block punctured the plastic. Right at that corner, which is rather sharp….

I'm re-thinking the whole pad thing. I usually take a full-length aircore and it's withstood some really harsh treatment. I use it in a chair-kit….have had people sleep on it when visiting….have used it a LOT in a variety of conditions and it's never sprung a leak. It might be worth the extra 9 ounces to have that kind of durability. A deflated pad would ruin a trip for me.

Ed Tyanich BPL Member
PostedMar 5, 2009 at 5:24 pm

I've had a 60" Mummy Clearview since they 1st came out and I have quite a few nights on it with no problem.

If I were you, I'd call BA for a replacement. A patch at the valve doesn't sound too likley to be successful

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 8:02 pm

I haven't had any issues with leaking, but I have had issues with getting the clearview to fully deflate.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any suggeted techniques on how to deflate?

Jeremy G BPL Member
PostedMar 5, 2009 at 8:07 pm

have you tried sucking out the air? I just bought a clearview and have not tried it, but I have done this with my thermarest before and it works pretty well with that. Kind of like smoking a cigar, don't actually suck it into your lungs, just your mouth…

might have a bit of an "aftertaste" to it. have something to eat or drink to wash it down.

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Nathan,
I had the same problem and repaired it with Tear-Aid Type A, made specifically for polyurethane. Since the repair I have had no problems and have used the pad quite a bit.I put 2 layers on each side of both corners. Tear-Aid is very tough.

BA said then (September'09)the new batch would be better, but who knows what that means. I sent my pad to them for examination, but since I didn't buy it from them they wouldn't replace it. But I did get a chair for my troubles.

So take a patch kit that you Know works with polyurethane. That way you won't have any more problems. ;-)

BA Valve2

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedMar 5, 2009 at 8:26 pm

I roll my inflatables up with the valve open to deflate them, then unroll them, fold them like I want, and re-roll. When I get close to the end, I open the valve and let the last of the air out.

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Mine leaked right at the valve just like yours. I also fixed mine with tape but I also used some McNett Seam grip under the tape. They sell this stuff in the bpl shop. The customer service at Big Agnes recommended it. Aside from the faulty design at the valve I would have to say that the material is surprisingly durable. I have to admit that I will probably get a neo pad from thermarest after they come out in April due to the lack of inso in the clear view. I don't really like the feel of the sticky plastic clear view ether. I think the air chambers on the neo look more comfortable running perpendicular also.

PostedMar 9, 2009 at 8:51 pm

So I was able to fix the leak with some seam sealer–very easily actually–and got the chance to use the pad last night.

I was very disappointed as I had a most uncomfortable night…my back and shoulder are still recovering. The problem is I couldn't get the pad's firmness/softness to a desirable level. The pad was either too hard…or else my hip was on the ground.

So I'm wondering…is this a problem with the Clearview pad (as opposed to the AirCore pad, which I've used with great success) or is it a problem with the length of the pad. I used a 66" Clearview pad but usually use a 72" AirCore pad. Is it possible the extra length (I curl up to about 60" when asleep) at the end of the pad allows my weight to be distributed on a softer pad…and since the Clearview didn't have that extra length to help adjust the firmnness, I couldn't get the right level? Or is that the Clearview pad is just less comfortable due to the materials?

PostedMar 10, 2009 at 12:46 am

Just the standard one. I've used them before no problem, but now looking into beefier options. Side-sleeper here….and extra weight for the sleep system for me is worth it not to have a sore neck/shoulder/back the next day. Really worth it.

PostedMar 10, 2009 at 7:21 am

Greg Mihalik wrote- "I sent my pad to them for examination, but since I didn't buy it from them they wouldn't replace it."

Wow. That's pretty lousy customer service. This is a known problem with these pads and sounds like BA is trying to shirk responsibility for an obvious design flaw. I can't for the life of me understand how it matters where the product was purchased. I can't find that 'policy' anywhere on their website. They do state they have a 100% guarantee, though. I guess this should be more accurately be called 99% guarantee since at least one person is not allowed to take advantage of it.

Sounds like a lot of crap coming from a company with a whole page on their website entitled "Corporate Social Responsibility"…whatever that is.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...