Topic

Montbell Down Inner Alternative?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedMar 5, 2009 at 11:09 am

Hello,
I am looking for a lightweight 3 season insulation layer. I have tried both the Thermawrap Parka as well as the Montbell Down Inner Parka. Both are excellent pieces however the sizing is a bit weird. In both pieces, I find the extra large way too long in the arms, way to big in the chest, but the length is perfect. The large fits absolutely perfect everywhere except the length. Lifting my arms in this thing brings the bottom up near rib cage level and it's a constant struggle to keep it down while sitting and getting up, moving around etc. I have a longish torso but not that long…20-21".

Does anyone know of a hooded insulation layer that is in the same weight and warmth class that would have a longer, more normal cut? In the same or less price range would be nice as well.

If Montbell offered this with a drop tail or in a "Tall", I would be sold.

Thanks for any help.

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 11:27 am

>If Montbell offered this with a drop tail or in a "Tall", I would be sold.

Sigh. The original version had a drop tail. If you can't find and alternative, then you could just get the larger size and take it in at the sides. This is pretty straight forward for anyone with some basic sewing skills. I personally am not bothered by the long arms, and find them very useful when it's cold and I draw my hands inside the sleeves instead of donning gloves. But these could also be shortened if it bugs you.

On a more adenturous MYOG, I have used the stuff sack as fabric (and some down) to add my own drop-tail. Now it's perfect!

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 11:33 am

Thanks. I was thinking about getting the extra large and having it tailored…But I thought with the type of construction it is that it would be pretty dificult to find someone to do this. I suppose it's easier than I first thought. The only other problem with that would be the hood I guess…On the Down Inner (Since it has no drawstring or cinch) the large fits my head a little loose already…I'm sure the extra large would be just way to big to keep any heat in. Perhaps I could convince a tailor to take that in or add a cinch system as well…Hmmmmm… I do not need the stuff sack at all and I have extra down from an old bag but no sewing skills…Do you have pics of the "Drop tail" you made? Thanks!!!

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 11:51 am

A good tailor would have no difficulty taking the jacket in as it's really just a simple seam along the sides. Although I don't hav a photo, the drop tail is made with the same size squares as the rest of the jacket, in a half-moon kind of shape. I used some slightly different fabric on the inside of the jacket, so it's not a perfect match when seen from the inside, but good enough from the outside. Maybe a picture would help, but it wouldn't show you the method of construction. Again, a good tailor could probably figure it out if you showed them what you wanted…?

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedMar 5, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Aaron, just to entice your inner MYOG bug… a basic, starter sewing machine would cost you around $100. Last time I had some pants hemmed I think it was $15-20. Some tailors in my area (ludicrously, I believe) charge upwards of $40 for such basic changes. It might be worth your while to get a sewing machine and just make the changes. Shouldn't be a big deal, and so much more interesting than just dropping it off somewhere!

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I actually already have a sewing machine but am not to adept at using it…Not sure I would trust myself taking a needle to such a nice jacket. I'm thinking that adding the drop tail using the stuff sack is the most appealing idea right now…

Richard Lyon BPL Member
PostedMar 5, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Aaron, Patagonia has a down sweater that's cut longer than MontBell's. Both the Down Inner and new EX Light are intended as mid-layers, so they are intentionally shorter, and because they are marketed as SUL everything possible has been done to shave weight. The other "fashion" brands like Marmot and Cloudveil are likely to be a bit longer too, though I haven't tried them. Heavier, though.

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Thanks Richard! I've been checking those out too…But was hoping to get something no more than about 10oz with a hood. Ahhh…I guess life is a compromise. I really like the looks of that Western Mountaineering hooded flash jacket, but $260 is kinda steep…Twice the price of the Montbell.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...