Topic

New tent or new pack for Iceland?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Zack Karas BPL Member
PostedMar 5, 2009 at 10:21 am

Hi,
My fiance and I are in the early stages of planning our honeymoon hike across Iceland and we're quickly realizing our standard 3 season gear list isn't going to cut it. My current dilemna is choosing our shelter. Due to the extreme wind and blowing sand/grit we won't be bringing a tarptent and are thinking of bringing our Bibler Eldorado (4 lbs 1oz), however the tent packs down to 7"x19" and requires a huge pack to carry it (I use my old ULA P2–44oz, to carry the Bibler). It is a bomber tent but I would much rather use a lighter tent that packs down smaller or is a double wall that can be split up to be carried by the both of us. We both normally use modified Golite Jams (16oz) on our thru-hikes and there is no way in hell that is going to work with the Bibler.
I was considering the Big Sky Montana 2P until I read about the horrid customer service. I also like the Stephenson 2X as it packs to 4"x17" and weighs roughly 2 lbs 5oz, price $460 w/o options.
So, does anyone know of any other 2-person, 4-season tents that are under 4 lbs and cost less than $500? Extra points awarded for a vestibule, as the Bibler lacks that.
And does anyone know of a sub 2 lb pack that doesn't have to be babied and could travel well, swallow a 7"x19" Bibler and handle loads in the low to mid 30 lb range? I'm looking at the older Golite Pinnacle as I love my Jam and it adds something like 1000ci, it could also be modified to down to 1 lb 4oz easily).
Basically, I want to spend the least to reap the biggest advantages. The Pinnacle is $150 and would drop 1.5 pound off my P2, and a new tent would cost around $300-500 and drop about 1.5 lbs off the Bibler and be more packable.
Please show me the light. Thanks.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Loading...