Topic

Can’t Decide: Olympus 850SW or Canon SD890IS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Can’t Decide: Olympus 850SW or Canon SD890IS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

I'm interested in the 850SW for its shockproof/waterproof features (pictures in the rain!) but it has a weak batt life and uses xd cards…

Maybe even the new Olympus 550wp?

The SD890IS appears to be a high quality camera for its category and a good value at $199 from Amazon.

I can't figure out what to do. Any suggestions or other cameras I should look at? I'm looking at under $250…

NYC Hiker

@nychiker

Locale: NYC

After lugging around a heavy digital with a 12x zoom, I started looking for a lighter P/S camera. I selected the Canon SD880IS. The main reason was for the wide-angle lens.

After using it for the past few months, I've really come to like the lens on the camera. I don't really miss the zoom capability, since most of my pictures are landscape shots anyway. It's under $250 on Amazon now.

I am not a photographer by any means, but I do enjoy having something to show other Manhattanites what's less than an hour away from their apartments.

edit: link to Amazon product page not working

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

I would go with the 890IS but I'm just worried about contact with water. Am I going to miss the ability to shoot in the rain?

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak

not sure about the reputation of this website but they have it for 169$
    http://www.slrgenius.com/products.asp?product_id=11662

make sure to get Franco's opinion (or look through his posts), as I believe he has researched the camera issue extensively

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

The Olympus 550wp seems to be new as of this year, Waterproof/Shockproof. There's very little info on it online so far…

James Lee

@jleephoto

Locale: Triad

I don't own either of these cameras but I have owned many from both brands. I'm a pro Nikon shooter for many years but even I am a huge fan of Canon P&S cameras. They have a great balance of usability & image quality. While the image quality is usually there with the Olympus products, the speed of their processors are usually slower and their interface more fiddly. Canon P&S are always my first recommendation. That said, it can be nice to have a WP camera. I've found the Canons to be more water resistant enough to handle a rain shower without freaking out, but the Olympus and Pentax WP cameras are truly dunkable. I have a cheap Pentax WP tethered to my canoe.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools