Topic

Tincture of Benzoin

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
PostedMar 4, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Foil packed swabs are readily available and seem a better fit than glass ampules.

Anyone with hands-on experience able to give some pros and cons?

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 7:37 pm

I don't care for carrying glass ampules.
Are you purchasing foil packed swabs or making them?

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Craig,
I found foil packaged swabs at $12 for a box of 50 here plus $11 for S&H.

I could order a couple of boxes and redistribute.
At $35 for 100 that’s 36 cents each, plus a buck for mailing.
Interested?

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 8:07 pm

REI sells 1 oz. bottles, and I transfer that into a .35 oz. dropper bottle. This means I only use what I need, can adjust volume depending on trip length and conditions, and apply to skin accurately and without mess. There are certainly lighter options, particularly when only very small amounts are needed, but I often provide foot care for two and don't mind the extra weight.

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 8:11 pm

James,
Given the high alcohol content, do you end up with sludge after a while, or does the dropper bottle cap do a good job of keeping things sealed and flowable when needed?

How long have you used the dropper bottle approach on the trail?

It sounds like a great way to go.

Thanks.

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Greg,

I've read that while something like Tincture of Iodine cannot be stored in plastic because plastic is permeable to iodine, tincture of benzoin should be fine in plastic as far as I am aware- the bottle it comes in from REI is plastic. I use these bottles, and the description claims the plastic does not react with alcohol.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/mini_dropper_bottles.html

So far, I've had no problems with this setup, but the dropper bottle has yet to see significant, multi-day trail time (can't wait for Canyonlands in a few weeks!) and I am still familiarizing myself with the leukotape/benzoin combo, so I like to bring a little extra.

James

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 8:34 pm

James,
Thanks.

Hopefully after the Canyonlands trip you'll be able to report that the bottle, STILL FULL, help up quite well, thank you.

But if you do have to put it to use, please let us know the outcome.

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 8:35 pm

I've had some in a BPL mini dropper for over a year…used it this weekend just fine.

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Greg,

Thanks for the good wishes. The ideal, of course, is for the stuff to never see the light of day! My girlfriend and I have, for our abilities, a pretty ambitious four-day hiking agenda for Canyonlands at the end of the month. Though I've come a long way in my knowledge of foot care over the past year or so, I am still a novice when it comes to not just fixing, but maintaining, feet for days at a time. I don't yet have the experience to know ahead of time exactly how my feet will react to particular conditions, shoes, socks, etc. over a long trip. I also, of course, want to be able to help out my companion so that she stays happy and I look chivalrous.

So I am planning for the worst, and also planning to experiment with different techniques and gear to see what works for me. I'll bring, and *possibly* put to the test, leukotape, benzoin, zinc oxide, hydropel, a little Blister Shield powder, and a few different sock options (injinji tetratsock, defeet air-e-ator, and darn toughs). All of this, paired with some gaiters and golite sun dragons that have performed well for me so far, and I am hoping for the best.

Here are a few benzoin-related threads:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19179&disable_pagination=1

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=12099

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=4788&cat=First%20Aid%20and%20Survival%20Gear%20%26%20Accessories&cid=58

I'll share any interesting results!

James

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...