Does anybody know if they are getting ready to come out with an upgraded version before the summer hiking season?
I ask because Spot is being offered through REI with a $25.00 rebate (with activation) now.
Topic
Become a member to post in the forums.
Does anybody know if they are getting ready to come out with an upgraded version before the summer hiking season?
I ask because Spot is being offered through REI with a $25.00 rebate (with activation) now.
A gentleman did a rim-to-rim-to-rim run last fall and carried SPOT.
30 out of 198 "tracking" signals got through.
9 out of 33 "I'm OK" signals got through.
Granted he wasn't in one place long for the OK's, but he was aware of the protocols.
Know where you intend to use it and what to expect.
I don't have any info on improvements and/or upgrades to the service. But my experience during the past year in in the North Georgia Mountains has been hit or miss at best. OK signals are being received at about a 50% rate and the location info almost zero. In short, when this forest project is complete, I don't plan to ever use a SPOT again Period…
The ACR MicroFix is the same cost over 5 years, and it has the added benefit of actually working.
It can be found at REI here.
McMurdo is coming out in the spring with new PLB's in the 5 oz range and 200-300 bucks.
I was just checking these out online when I noticed this post concerning the SPOT. I have been debating whether to buy a SPOT or PLB for my solo hiking. The SPOT is nice for sending ok messages to update the family, but what good is it if you can't depend on it. I think I will opt for the new PLB given the price, weight and dependability.
Looks like $299 for the 5.3 oz 210 unit that has built in GPS. The sole US supply to date is Revere Supply out of Jacksonville, FL. They don't appear to have an online store, so it looks like the old fashion order by phone.
John,
Thanks for the heads up.
I found the FastFix 210 for $283 + S&H Here.
Smaller and less expensive that the MicroFix.
I see several places on google that appear to be selling the McMurdo FastFind 210. No reviews have been performed that I know of.
http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=105
http://www.fastfindplb.com/en/what_is_fast_find/fast_find_210.php
oo
Become a member to post in the forums.