Topic

High Volume GoLite Ion

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
PostedMar 4, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I have recently got my gear weight down to around 5 lbs (depending on the weather). As it is warming up outside where i live, i am wondering if an ION will be large enough to hold my stuff. The largest item i currently own is a Northface cats meow +20. it looks like a freakin bowling ball compared to my other stuff. Does anybody out there think/know if an Ion can fit that bag in between a coiled sleeping pad frame??? I tried jamming it in to a Flash 30 at REI the other day and no go. but the ion supposedly has about 400 ci's than the flash and weighs almost half as much. could somebody gimme a knowledgable hand??

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I can confidently say, no way in h-e- double hockey sticks will a cat's meow fit in an ion. My wife has one, and it's a cramfest to try to get it into a decent sized pack. buy a new sleeping bag first.

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 1:34 pm

i figured as much about buying a new bag, ive been looking around for +40 down bags. I was also kind of figuring of buying the ion first, using it for the summer with a fleece blanket (i am in Northern Virginia) and my clothes and picking up the sleeping bag in the fall. I will just have to strap on the Metro-bus of a Baltoro until it gets warm enough to go sans sleeping bag.

Jay Wilkerson BPL Member
PostedMar 4, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I have used a WM Highlite and Prolite 4 3/4 with a BPL Spin Pro tarp and a MLD Serenity bug shelter. It is definetly cramped with just few inches at the top for 1 1/2 days worth of food.. You definetly have to pack VERY smart with the Ion for a 2 day 1 night trip.

-Jay

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 2:39 pm

So can you guys help me out on my quest for a new pack. it's clear that i am not ready for to go that small. (tail in between legs) Nor do i think i WANT to make such drastic changes in my style. I generally like to be out for long weekends; 2 nights are my average. In the summer i am likely to do a few `2-4 nighters. I would love to hear what kind of packs you guys are using. I really wanted to shift into something frameless, but this REI flash 50 fits well, gives me a good bit of extra room so camelback and food isn't squished at all. and it is a convertible with a (suggested) minimum weight of 29 ounces. Should i start by overhauling my sleeping bag to something smaller, THEN go for a pack? or is 50L pack weighing 29 oz gonna be something i can cherish for at least another handful of years. I do not wanna get in the habit of some of these guys who buy new lighter packs every few months to shave 5 ounces here and 2 ounces there. ultralight needs to also be about your carbon footprint, not just your gear.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedMar 4, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Nothing specific, but just a general thought… Given that you want to size down, it is very likely that you will eventually replace your bulky bag — so I see your current pack purchase as "transitional". If correct, then you should focus more on "comfort and good value" rather than sexy, cool and expensive.

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 2:55 pm

But it seems like everything out there is sexy, cool, and expensive. I AM transitioning, i WANT to get there cost effectively, but i also want to reduce weight in the process. I don't necessarily see a reason to buy a NEW pack, just a different pack. My old pack is a gregory baltoro, it was gifted to me and i have since done nothing but reduce weight in all aspects except for pack and bag. I have gone from a base weight of 26 lbs to 12 lbs. my pack right now constitutes 6 of those lbs. i was thinking about just camping inside my pack for a while!

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I got a montbell alpine burrow #3 long for 129 plus shipping. The #3 regular length is 109. My bag is 2lb 2oz and I just used it on a four day where the temps got below the 30 degree rating of the bag for 2 nights – it is a nice bag – especially for the bucks. And it packs down small – still synthetic – but small.

http://www.moontrail.com/home.php?cat=326

Copy and paste that – (cheap forum)

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedMar 4, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Replace the bag, and watch for a used GoLite Jam2. I picked one up for $45 the other day, so it's not too pricy.

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Thanks for the awesome reply guys! i one of those people that sometimes i just need to be slapped in the face with information. my torso in all packs i have tried is a large. it is 19 to 20" depending on my posture that day. lol

Boozer BPL Member
PostedMar 4, 2009 at 3:34 pm

well I had a Med. Golite Continuum I'd send you but it will be to short. I have the same torso and it's too short for me.

Jim Colten BPL Member
PostedMar 4, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Do I understand you correctly your base wt is 12 lbs with a 6lb pack and a 2.5lb sleeping bag? You're on your way! But the bulk of the sleeping bag and weight of the pack pretty much gang up on you … it'll be hard to make much progress without replacing both and it seems correct that the bulk of the bag would rule out a lot of light packs..

My suggestion is to shop shop shop …

Cost effective frameless or almost frameless packs … Granite Gear Virga and Golite Jam2 … they are similar volume and weight and can be found at a discount pretty often, especially the Jam2. Or you could take a BIG leap and look at zpacks.com.

Other's will advise you on sleeping bags. But your idea of getting by with a fleece blanket for the summer might buy you time to shop for a deal on a bag (assuming you have tghe blanket and it's warm enough for you)

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Johnathan, i do appreciate your generous thoughts, i guess the stars don't align for me today. I will keep looking for bargains though.

Jim, that is my frustration. I am pretty sure i can go all summer down here with the fleece i own, it squishes down pretty small after i made some minor alterations to it. I am definitely going to keep looking for a Jam2. That was my original thought before this whole thing started for me. Somebody along the way once told me that the jam2 was too flimsy, but you guys seem to swear by golite and their products. I have seen these zpacks, and i think that is a HUGE leap for me at the moment, seeing as how i can possibly get a jam2 for around 50 or so. by fall i hope to have my new bag.

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 4:25 pm

BTW, have any of you guys worn a womens jam2 or hear of anyone who does? they are so much cheaper all over the internet. the only difference must be the shape of the shoulder straps, if even that…

Jamie Shortt BPL Member
PostedMar 4, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Tony, I can echo that the volume of the ion is going to be too small. I own a Golite Ion, Golite Jam2, and a Granite Gear Virga. All are great packs, but for you I'd definately recommend the Jam2 or Virga. If you like nice shoulder strap padding then the Virga wins, but if you want an extra back pocket go with the Jam2. Avoid the 09 Jam2 as it is now signficantly heavier with little added utility.

Yes all of these packs are "flimsy" until packed correctly. You will need to use a sleeping pad to frame them out then with a tight 6 lbs of gear these packs will work great. I also have a MLD prophet that is a great pack. Keep an eye out as with so many packs I'll probably be putting the Virga up for sale soon.

Jamie

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 5:14 pm

"Avoid the 09 Jam2 as it is now signficantly heavier with little added utility."

Not sure about this. I like the idea of additional pack pockets and padding, quite frankly.

On another note, avoid the Virga if you are tall. It has the worst torso collapse I have ever experienced with a frameless pack. Of course, this is just my experience.

Tim F BPL Member
PostedMar 4, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Jonathan- you only have ONE pack you want to get rid of in your entire gear emporium?!?

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Jamie, first off, its really cool to hear your comment, among everyone else. I just joined bpl today after spending weeks of reading, and a lot of it was your material. You have inspired a good portion of my thinking. The downside being that you made the sub ultra look way to easy. But obtainable. I actually got the ion idea lastnight after reading the posts you put up for some kid who sounded like he was hi-jacking an ems truck. The research and shear numbers you put up for him was freakin amazing!! I was completely blown away.

When i said flimsy, i really meant that i wasn't sure if it could hold up to tougher than average wear and tear. I'm past that train of thought however. As i said earlier, the virga and jam2 seem like go to packs for me right now. and if you are thinking bout gettin rid of one, send me a pm. I am not a subscribing member yet so bpl wont let me look at used gear.

I forgot what i was getting at, but i'm sure it will come to me.

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 6:37 pm

The Jam 2 is made of "Dyneema" which is probably the most durable of the light fabrics. It can take a good bit of abuse.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Loading...