Topic

JMT Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Jonathon, it depends on what trailhead that you will be starting from. If it is Sunrise or if you are using Cathedral Lakes trailhead. Sunrise is the logical choice and just go to the Yosemite site to see where you can pick up your permit (walk in) or do an advanced phone reservation (reccomended). Good luck on your hike.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Jonathan, the CREST bus does run on a regular schedule, but it is usually not the one on the website. Best to call. Also CREST will only get you from Lone Pine to Mammoth or Lee Vining. If you need to get into Yosemite, you'll need to switch to YARTS which only goes south to Mammoth. This took an overnight in Mammoth to make the connection when I went a couple of years ago. It was much easier to take CREST to Lee Vining and then hitchhike into Yosemite. The CREST driver will drop you at the 120 junction if you ask. A backpack makes getting rides from other hikers quite easy. At least that was my experience. Normal precautions for hitching still apply of course.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

so my idea is to fly out of Vegas as it is cheaper and it will give us alittle road trip at the end of the hike. The plan now is to hitch down to Lone Pine, catch the CREST to InyoKern, rent a car and drive to Vegas.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

The CREST will also drop you off right at the AVIS in downtown Ridgecrest if need be. I was a few days early for the reservation I made at IYK airport and they couldn't accomodate me. The Ridgecrest location was very helpful though.

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

I have done JMT twice…flew to Reno,CREST Bus south to Lee vineing,hitch into park.The bus use to come into Lone Pine late at night+go north arriving in Reno early am.Makes easy east coast trip.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools