Topic

Help me understand how to set up a tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Help me understand how to set up a tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Re: http://owareusa.com/images/solotarp.jpg

Wow, that is low. Gotta crawl on your belly for that one.

I like the picture above in the snow. And the blue brawnylite tarp looks nice, too.

I hope to practice in the wilderness soon. Maybe this weekend.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Dondo, thanks for the info. I'm excited to try out that pitch when the weather gets a bit nicer.

Chad, those were my thoughts exactly I clicked the picture!

Kenneth Reppart
    BPL Member

@kreppart

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Chad/Steven apologies for not explaining. I don't want to hijack this thread so let me give a quick explanation and we can continue on a separate thread if anyone is curious.

The poncho synth that I linked to isn't a single photo, it's actually a composite view of 21 photos reconstructed in a 3D sort of way. Photosynth takes a set of photos, analyzes them for similarities, creates a 3d model and then presents those photos properly in relation to one another.

My poncho setup isn't anything special but you can view it from many different angles and zoom in up to the full 12 megapixel images to see the details. I know this would have been helpful to me when I was trying to figure out how to set up a tarp.

Anyway, I think Photosynth's ability to show the big picture and the details will be really great for sharing things like tarp setups, camp site photos, and especially MYOG diagrams because you can include views from all sides.

I started another thread here to talk about possible uses of Photosynth in the photography section, if you're curious or have further feedback let's move the discussion to that thread.

Best,

– ken

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

So I decided to try the poncho in the field. It worked great. I was very happy. It was a colder than expected night (below freezing) with no wind or rain, but I stayed cozy and comfy. I could tell that if it were to sprinkle a little, I would be safe from the rain. I set it up like a pyramid.

Me in my Golite poncho tent

I liked the freedom of not having a tent. My poncho is now my new first choice in shelter options.

My pack only weighed about 9lbs, which was also really freeing. I could have gone lighter but I wanted to test my pack with as much of the actual gear I plan to take on the PCT as possible. Plus I brought a book to give me something to do.

The best part of having such a smallish pack (even better than still being able to walk past all the day hikers) was that nobody ever asked me where I was going. I don't think they knew I was going backpacking. My pack didn't look like a backpacking trip was in process. I think this makes it much safer for the single female backpacker.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

Looks good.

I own a poncho tarp also, that I use exclusively for rain gear. I haven't used it as a shelter, because I haven't really been able to figure out exactly how I would deal with setting camp in a good solid rain.

How do you plan to handle that scenario?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Well, to be honest, if it is good solid rain I think I would rather have my 8×10 tarp. Then I think what I would do is drape it over my gear and then set it up. There would be enough room under the tarp to dart inside, take off wet clothing, set up my sleeping bag and get inside.

I think I could drape my poncho over my gear and then set it up, but there would be no room to get under the shelter and then get in my bag. I think I could survive with the poncho, but survival is about the best I could hope for in solid rain.

For camping in Southern California, where I live, I think that the poncho is most excellent. It hardly ever rains here. And there are very few mosquitos here, too.

When I hiked the PCT last year it rained in the desert. All of a sudden I could hear rain falling on my tent. A situation like that I think the poncho could handle.

bill berklich
    Spectator

@berklich

Locale: Northern Mid-West

Lol I got so wrapped up in the Photosynth Tech I forgot why I was there. Great Photos

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools