Topic

GoLite Hooded Inferno Jacket Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable GoLite Hooded Inferno Jacket Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

GoLite Hooded Inferno Jacket Review

Jesse Taylor
    BPL Member

@ahikernamedgq

Overall, I think Golite makes some really great stuff.

Great gear review. Enjoy the parka!

Kathy Bartosh

@sumo

Locale: Southern Quebec

My next serious purchase is a down parka. Thanks for a thourough review.

On the manufacturer's website there is no mention on the hood in the product details. (??)

Re: additional drop pocket- would it be worth it to sew one in?

eric strunk

@cat300

I did not see how many ounces of down were in the jacket. Any information on that?

Mike Maurer

@maurer

Locale: Oregon

I dunno gang,

For the same 24 oz (and the same price) I could take a really warm Patagonia DAS synthetic Parka with big inside stash pockets. No worries about babysitting the shell, no worries about cold spots from sewn thru baffling and no loss of insulation when wet.

Mike

Christopher Bumgardner

@quillbone

At 20 oz with pertex endurance outer shell and similar bells and whistles (no fleece in the front pockets though, but also has sewn through baffles) the rab neutrino seems to be right in the category of the golite inferno. Oh, and it is around the same price. Right now I even found it online for as little as $198. I have this jacket and love it (I won't go into a full mini review). It has around 8 oz of 850 fill (US fill test). Does the inferno have more? I see the down fill question was already asked.

I liked the review though Will. By the way, thanks for the Golite VO24 review you did a little while back. I got the pack as a result and really like it. Like you said in the VO24 review, it's load handling is great.

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

Hi everyone, here's my responses to your questions:

Kathy: I believe GoLite has hooded and non-hooded versions of this jacket.

Eric: GoLite does not specify the amount of down in the jacket, just the fill power. It is fairly common for a manufacturer not to disclose the amount of down in a bag or jacket. Unfortunately, that omission makes it harder to compare products.

Happy hiking!
    Will

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Just got done with an 800-mile trip from Arches to the Grand Canyon and carried the Hooded Inferno the whole way. VERY glad to have it, especially since I was using the GoLite Ultra quilt and nights in the mid-teens were not uncommon.

GoLite hooked me up with two version of the Hooded Inferno. One for "civilian use," i.e. "you're not allowed to get this one stinky or to chop it up"; the other for "trail use," i.e. "you can do whatever you want to it and it can smell horrible, and that's okay."

I removed the fleece-lined pockets in my trail jacket and cut out the inside lining that seperates the pocket and the wearer (it's a third layer of fabric — there's no down in there) and managed to get the weight down to 20.8 oz, size Men's Medium.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

@Andy: I have a similar jacket I have been testing that also has a liner on the inside. Like you said, essentially a third layer of fabric with no down inside. Can you explain why that is done? Seems useless to me.

Kathy Bartosh

@sumo

Locale: Southern Quebec

Thanks Will.

Happy trails.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

It is essentially useless, as it provides very little warmth for its weight. I think it's done to keep the pockets from being visible from the inside of the jacket. Not really a concern for me, but I can't think of another reason. I suppose the pockets could snagged on things too if they were out in the open. But, whatever, the third layer of fabric should not be there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools