Topic

Water Filtration

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Water Filtration

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Locale: Michigan

I'm looking for some advice…

I currently use a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter. It's OK, but kind of heavy and awkward to use without an extra set of hands. I typically only hike short distances on weekends along streams, and there are usually only 2 or 3 others in our party.

I'm looking at the Platypus CleanStream Gravity Filter system and wondering if anyone has used this? Or has an opinion of any gravity system, as compared to a pump. Thanks!

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

If you want a gravity filter try the ULA Amigo.

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

"If you want a gravity filter try the ULA Amigo."

OK, why?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I haven't used the official cleanstream, but I have a DIY version: big zip sl2 + quick disconnect connector + in line filter + 3L platypus bladder. It has been fine… much better than pumping.

Why the ULA Amigo? It's a bit cheaper, a bit lighter, and would be slightly easier to use in shallow water. If I didn't already have the parts, I would have gone for the Amigo.

–Mark

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Some more points to consider…

1. If all you want is a gravity filter, then ULA is a great choice. Its 0.3 micron pore size makes it effective for treating against all biological pathogens — except for viruses — which luckily aren't usually a problem out in the wilds (popular water holes excepted).

2. If you want the flexibility of using the filter in gravity mode (say when at camp where you've got ample time) but also as an in-line filter (say when on the move where you just want to scoop and drink through the filter rather than spending time setting up and waiting for the water drip process) — then the Platy system may be the better choice for you. (Note: no actual experience on how easy it is to suck water through — hopefully actual users will comment).

If interested in filters that can be used in both modes — there are also Seychelle and AquaMira brands. Both are easy to suck water through, but they also have much bigger pore sizes (2.0 and 3.0) and should therefore be used in conjunction with chemicals — to kill the tiny stuff (viruses and bacteria). The filters do an excellent job clarifying water and improving taste — including the removal of any chemical taste from treatment.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I'm sure I'll take some grief from this because of the weight, but you might want to consider the AquaStar UV filter. I hike mostly in Pennsylvania with lots of clear streams along the trails. I carry a couple of coffee filters to use as a prefilter if I ever come across cloudy or murky water but have never had to use them.

Other than the big three, the Aquastar is the heaviest item in my pack at 8.3 ounces (plus another 1.2 ounces for an extra set of batteries). That does include the mesh prefilter that's good for straining out small debris that may be in the water and the lexan bottle that holds it. I've thought about sticking it in a Nalgene canteen (and even bought one for the purpose) but I like the protection of having it inside a hard shell.

Why do I still carry it? I usually hike with 2-4 of my friends and this is our water purifier. It kills bacteria and viruses and doesn't affect the taste of the water. It takes about 90 seconds to filter a liter of water which is then ready for immediate consumption. For us that's a real treat when hiking during the summer because you're drinking the water when it's at its coldest and most refreshing – not waiting for 30 minutes while it warms up.

It's easy to use – just fill the bottle, screw on the light assembly (which is attached to the lid), push the button, and then shake for about 80 seconds. From your avatar it looks like you hike with your children. I think you might like the idea of knowing that any boogies in the water are dead before the kids drink it.

It's just another option to think about. From the looks of the Meridian Design website, it's currently on sale for $69.

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Thanks for all the advice. I'll look at the ULA Amigo, the AquaStar and the others mentioned. I've been told that in Michigan there is no great need to worry about viruses and that regular filters are sufficient. But like Kevin says, with the kids I don't like to take chances.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

You might consider the 1.8 ounce Sawyer inline filter. Connect with a Platypus, have a 3-4 ounce water treatment system…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools