Topic

Vapour Barrier question

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedMar 3, 2009 at 1:50 am

I was interested to read the recent vapour barrier article. Personally, I don't expect to do any long distance winter traveling. However, I would be interested in knowing if using an occasional vapour barrier of existing clothing might help keep things lighter on a long distance walk where the occasional night goes to freezing point or lower.

Here's my thinking. I understand that the vapour barrier doesn't result in large amounts of sweating (unless it is badly used and insulation is not adjusted correctly) so would it be possible, for instance, to turn montane featherlite windtop and trousers (or equivalent) inside out. These can keep a short light shower at bay. If worn over my merino base layer wouldn't they act as a vapour barrier if they weren't over loaded? If so, what amount of warmth would be added to the insulation?

Any thoughts?

John S. BPL Member
PostedMar 3, 2009 at 6:07 am

Windshirts (montane featherlite, etc) are not vapor barriers. What you use must be non-breathable.

PostedMar 3, 2009 at 9:36 am

I understand that they are breathable from the inside, which is why I'm asking if there would be enough of a vapour barrier when they are turned inside out.

I should add that I'm thinking (I should say day-dreaming, since it's outside my current experience) of walking in the sort of conditions which are mainly dry but might have cold nights…and where an umbrella is used for protection from the sun mainly, and from occasional rain. (So for all it's beauty, I'm not talking about the place I live…Scotland).

PostedMar 3, 2009 at 11:33 am

A windshirt will NOT stop water vapour from passing through, ie they are VERY breathable. A VBL needs to be a barrier to vapour, not just a barrier to water droplets.

PostedMar 3, 2009 at 12:11 pm

David, breathable means from one side to the other. That means BOTH sides. Your shirt will repel small droplets of water but it will pass water vapor. The idea of a vapor barrier is to not allow water to pass through in any form. Thats why they are called Vapor Barriers. :)

PostedMar 3, 2009 at 2:30 pm

OK, thanks folks. I get it now. Hey, the only place to get beyond stupid is not to ask. And there woz me thinking I woz clever:) Whoops!

PostedMar 3, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Hmmm…I should have said that the only way to get beyond stupid is TO ask!

See…I always get there in the end! :-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...